Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Access Point Questions...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

If I buy a wireless access point, like this one HERE, does it act like a signal repeater where I can just plug it into a power outlet? Or will I have to have it plugged into a router via cat-5 (ethernet) cable?

My problem lies in that my ps3 is in one corner of the house, and the wireless modem I have (that's RCA in case any one needs to know...because that WAP is a linksys) is in the opposite corner of the house. I get a 0-35% signal on the ps3 at best...and I'm hoping that putting a WAP between the ps3 and wireless modem will improve that signal. I'm trying to avoid running a cat-5 cable for 100 feet under my house (which, the majority of it is a crawl space).

Thanks in advance for any help! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

Hello stevealmighty,

I believe the link provided is to a router, but without seeing the picture I'm not 100% However your setup sounds like it could use a Signal Booster
Regards,

Alan.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:00 AM

Worth reading
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/
I believe this is the Dlink they were talking about
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=267
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

yes it will work!

Once you buy your new router, connect it with a ethernet cable to a computer. Make sure to plug it into one of the number plugs on the router, not the internet one.
Then on the computer, go into firefox and type in your new router's ip address to go into router setup. you can find this in the directions that came with the router or if you double click the icon in the taskbar for the connection to the router and click details, the default gateway is what you put into your browser.
It will ask you for a username and password, ususally by default the username is admin and there is no password, sometimes its the other way around or sometimes the username is admin and the password is password, but those are the only default combos I've seen.
Once in the router setup, turn off dhcp.
Then give the router an ip address in the range of your wireless router that hosts your connection. By that I mean if your original router that is too far away has an ip of 192.168.1.1 and your computer is 192.168.1.100, then in the second router's setup name it 192.168.1.101 or something that starts with the same first three numbers but isnt the same as something your alraedy using.
After that, save changes and the router reboots.
Then AFTER it has rebooted, unplug the ethernet and place it closer to the ps3, it should work.
Let me know if those directions aren't coherent enough or need to otherwise be explained.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

p.s. Linksys blows, I have seen at least ten of them fail within one year of purchase, there are much better choices out there.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

Got it-thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go with a range extender (signal repeater). The wife gave permission to move the computer into the living room (finally!), so that'll make it so that the modem and PS3 are only 20 feet apart! Should have no issues with getting that signal 20 feet!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:38 PM

yes it will work!

Once you buy your new router, connect it with a ethernet cable to a computer. Make sure to plug it into one of the number plugs on the router, not the internet one.
Then on the computer, go into firefox and type in your new router's ip address to go into router setup. you can find this in the directions that came with the router or if you double click the icon in the taskbar for the connection to the router and click details, the default gateway is what you put into your browser.
It will ask you for a username and password, ususally by default the username is admin and there is no password, sometimes its the other way around or sometimes the username is admin and the password is password, but those are the only default combos I've seen.
Once in the router setup, turn off dhcp.
Then give the router an ip address in the range of your wireless router that hosts your connection. By that I mean if your original router that is too far away has an ip of 192.168.1.1 and your computer is 192.168.1.100, then in the second router's setup name it 192.168.1.101 or something that starts with the same first three numbers but isnt the same as something your alraedy using.
After that, save changes and the router reboots.
Then AFTER it has rebooted, unplug the ethernet and place it closer to the ps3, it should work.
Let me know if those directions aren't coherent enough or need to otherwise be explained.

Just incase they don't have a range extender and I end up with a WAP........what you're saying is that I have to plug it into my modem (I have a wireless modem that acts the same as a wireless router) so it can get the settings (IP adress, etc. etc.), then, once the wap is configured, I can then unplug it from my modem (remove the ethernet cable), then go to another room, plug in the power and it'll allow me to extend my signal? Is that right?
Posted Image

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

not excactly. You would need a second router. leave your main router/modem combination device alone, I was just talking about going into the setup of a second router via an ehternet connection to your computer. Once in setup for this secondary router, I'll call it router 2, change dhcp to off and assign it a network ip. The easiest ip would just be one up from your computer, so if the computers ip is 192.168.0.100 make the router 192.168.0.101 and with all of that done, unplug the ethernet from router 2, plug it in a respective distance between router 1 and the ps3.

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:45 AM

Grrrrr....I bought a range extender, followed the directions and it didn't do a thing.....not a thing. I put it in probably a dozen different locations and it didn't do a thing. I'm going to have to call their tech support tonight...and if it doesn't work then I'll try getting a larger attenae for the wireless modem. If that fails then I'm going to have to run a cat-5 cable.... :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

thats lame. post up if you need more help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users