Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up Problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nita

Nita

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:56 AM

I have a Dell dimension C521 pc with XP home edition SP2. I am experiencing a lot of problems in starting up. The Dell screen comes on and then the white strip which should fill the box below "Dell" just seems to go halfway and hang. I then have to shut down manually and reboot pressing the F8 key and frequently have to do this(shutting down and restarting) several times before it actually gets going. Dell won't help me now as I am out of guarantee but it is really getting annoying and I keep thinking that one day it won't work at all!
Someone suggested that I press the F12 key on start up to run a diagnostics test but this is what I got

SATA 1st Master : WDC WD1600JS-75NCB3-Pass
SATA 2nd Master : TSSTcorp DVD+/-RWT- Diagnostics not supported

Can anyone help me with this ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:14 AM

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:17 AM

These seem to be the 3 different error messages over the past couple of weeks
I hope I have succeeded in attaching this file!

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

The error messages relate to:

stltrk2k.sys - a driver for some USB devices
nvidia display driver issue
ZoneAlarm issue

I would, in this order:
1) disable Zone Alarm (TEMPORARILY) to see if that's causing it
2) uninstall your current nVidia software and drivers and then resinstall the latest version available for your system from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
3) uninstall the software that's associated with your USB devices
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:44 AM

What does the nvidia thingy do? Do I uninstall it on the add/remove programs panel?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

The nVidia display driver is what enables you to view your screen at comfortable settings. If you uninstall it and reboot your computer, the screen will usually display at an enlarged size with fewer colors than normal. Reinstalling the nVidia drivers will sort that out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

Thanks, before uninstalling the Nvidia I decided to look at the driver download site that you gave me.. it asks me what nvidia product I have . Would that be the monitor because if it is my monitor is not on the list and indeed I do not recognise any of the products they list. Sorry to be so dim thank you for your patience.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

Go to this page and enter your service tag number (on the back of the computer): http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...nki=0&s=gen

It'll get you a listing of your system configuration. Copy that information to your next post and we should be able to tell you what your video card is.

OR, go to Start → Run → and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Click on the + sign next to "Display Adapters"
And let us know what it says there.

#9 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:17 PM

It says NVIDIA GeForce6150 LE

#10 TynTin

TynTin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

May I ask how old is your PC?

#11 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:26 AM

about 18 months..but the monitor is older from a previous pc.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

Link to the video driver: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=177271

1) Download the driver and save it to your Desktop
2) Uninstall the nVidia stuff in Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs
3) Reboot your computer (the display may look funny)
4) If the computer asks to install new hardware, cancel out of it.
5) Double click on the downloaded file and follow the instructions.
6) Reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users