Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide And Sata Harddrives Together. Is It Possible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zugzug

Zugzug

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:55 AM

I have a Dell Dimension and right now it has an IDE harddrive in it but it also has a couple of plugs for a SATA harddrive (I think I have that right.) My question is, can I have both of the hardrives installed? I want to have the SATA as a slave and the other as the master.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:35 AM

Yes, if the system has SATA connectors, you can operate both SATA and IDE drives concurrently. SATA drives don't operate as Master/Slave, each SATA channel carries a single drive.

I suspect you mean you want to keep the existing IDE drive as the boot drive, and use a new SATA drive as a secondary data drive? That only requires ensuring the IDE drive is selected as the first boot device in the BIOS setup.

However if the system has Windows XP as the OS, as an IDE drive is currently being used, there is probably no SATA drive installed to enable XP to access a SATA drive. If XP doesn't recognise the presence of a SATA drive, you can either identify the correct SATA drivers to install, or there will usually be an option in the BIOS to have the SATA controller emulate IDE.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

I'll just add that one of my desktops has a MB with 1 IDE connection (I have boot drive and optical drive on it) and 4 SATA connections (I tend to put my data on my SATA drives, while using PATA drives for boot drives).

As Platypus said...the motherboard may not have loaded the SATA driver...but it really should have loaded it with the other drivers, if the board has a SATA controller (and it does).

Typically, it's when attempting to install XP on a SATA drive...that the SATA driver becomes something to be concerned about, only because there is no native support in XP for SATA drives. To install XP on a SATA drive, that driver must be recognized/installed at the proper moment in the XP install routine.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users