Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive Space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Niko838

Niko838

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:22 AM

Hello!

My problem is as follows: Ok I have one 160 gb harddrive with two partitions. The first partition is for Windows and it has 20 gb of space, the second partition has the rest which is about 120 gb.
Now is it possible to transfer about 5 gb from the bigger partition to the smaller without formatting and installing Windows all over again?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:38 AM

Yes, right click on Start, click on Explore. The page that opens will have all of your file locations listed in the pane on the left. If you wish to transfer files from the second partition double click on that partition and it will open in the pane to the right. To transfer the files you can click and drag the files from the right side to the C: drive in the pane on the left side. When you move the file over to the C: drive it will highlight in blue indicating that this location is being chosen.

If you have never performed a click and drag here's how it works. You place the pointer (arrow) on the file that you wish to move and click on it and hold the button on the mouse down and move the pointer to the desired location. Once the pointer is over the desired location and the location is highlighted release the button on the mouse and the transfer will complete itself.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Niko838

Niko838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:42 AM

Ok it seems that I didn't explain my problem well. I need to transfer harddrive space from one partition to another.. The Windows partition has only about 3,5 gb left so I need to increase it. I don't want to reformat my drives so is it possible to take 5 gb harddrive space from the bigger partition and transfer it to the smaller partition?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:49 AM

Pardon me, I misunderstood what you were asking.

You can use an application like G-parted to increase the size of the partition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Niko838

Niko838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:59 AM

Ok, Thank you I'll give it a try :thumbsup:

#6 Niko838

Niko838
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:16 AM

Alright, I downloaded GParted, but I cannot open it, the file extension is tar.bz2 so what am I supposed to do now?

Thank you

EDIT: Everything's ok now I downloaded the wrong file

Edited by Niko838, 17 July 2008 - 03:49 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:05 AM

Tar.bz2 is a compressed file and will require a program like bzip to open it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users