Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Professional Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:14 AM

hi guys,

i don't know what to do,

i'm booting from CD/DVD drive, the CD loads up to "Starting Windows" then i get the blue screen of death,

STOP 0x0000007B (OXF78D2524, OXOC0000034, OXOOOOOOOO, OXOOOOOOOO)

I tried googling help but it says something about "SATA" hard drives needing drivers or something which need a floppy disk to do so, i don't have a floppy drive and the PC originally had XP Media Center Edition 2005 on it, (bought PC January 2007) but because it came with Vista upgrade i installed that, but want to go back to XP, and because i could not get the Media Center Edition disk, i got the Professional one. I don't know what to do, can anyone help me? How on earth do i know what drivers i need if i need any?

Do i need to format the hard drive completely first?

thanks in advance.

Edited by Izzy, 17 July 2008 - 01:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

Maybe you could borrow (or purchase) a USB floppy drive to enable the installation of the SATA driver.

Or you could slipstream the SATA driver onto an XP installation CD. I've never done it myself but here is a guide.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

where do i get a SATA driver?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:49 AM

You should be able to download it from the website of your PC's manufacturer. What is the make and model number of the computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:48 AM

SYSTEM PRODUCT NAME: Aspire E700
MB PRODUCT NAME: FG965M
SYSTEM S/N: 70102182
MB S/N: 04EF64301101
SYSTEM MANUFACTURER: Acer
BIOS VERSION: 6.00 PG
SMBIOS VERSION: 2.4
SYSTEM BIOS ID: R01-A3
BIOS RELEASE DATE: 12/11/2006 (Australian Format for date i think, well i'm in australia so i take it, that it is)

Hope that info is a bit better.

Edited by Izzy, 17 July 2008 - 06:44 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

Acer E700 drivers page: http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acerdrivers/...FTOKEN=92654374

Louis

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

i have all the XP ones from there, but which is the one i need for XP to install? if i can't figure it out, i'm going to have to take it to a computer store. $$$

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

You could try the one that says "Intel SATA RAID F6 Driver".

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

but it says the OS is for Vista x64 if you click on it it says in the download details.

I know the hard drive is IDE because in the BIOS it has nothing about SATA that i can see.

Edited by Izzy, 17 July 2008 - 05:10 PM.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

If you've got hold of a USB floppy drive I would give the "Intel SATA RAID F6 Driver" a go and see if it works. If it doesn't you could try the other RAID driver that was listed there. It's a bit more effort if you need to slipstream an installation CD.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:24 PM

slipstream is my only way, no one i know has a floppy drive. except one who is 2 days drive away.

i'm not sure how i am going to slip stream the disc my Vista won't boot. i'm using a mac.

Edited by Izzy, 17 July 2008 - 05:26 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

Well...this system was built for Vista from what I see.

But, I'm curious as to whether you have taken a look at the hard drive you intend to install XP Pro on. It's hard to mistake an EIDE/PATA drive for a SATA drive (and vice versa).

Louis

#13 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:33 PM

i know the CD/DVD burner is SATA but the hard drive is IDE going by the BOIS. It has lists IDE one after the other and nothing at all for SATA.

Now, there is a metal plate on the tower side "Designed for Windows XP" and below that "Windows Vista Capable" so it was more or less deigned for XP. Don't get confused with the Core 2 Duo ones which shipped with Vista, this is the older model Pentium D that shipped with XP Media Center.

#14 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

IDE drives have wide ribbon cable with 66 seperate wires in them. IDE drives have 66 pins in two rows for connector ribbon cable. SATA drives have fewer pins in single row.

Try detaching and re-attaching the hard disk cable, and also the power supply cable. Check if you have not left any other drive/device with connecter cable attached, but power cable removed.

If this does not work, partition the disk again (if you can afford that). If no important data on disk, go for repartition. You should have CD that came with hard disk for partitioning. If not you can download image from manufacturer's site. In most such partitoning software(i know seagate, samsung and maxtor), there is an option "which OS you want to install". The software partitions accordingly.

Hope this is useful :thumbsup:

#15 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

PC came with no CDs at all, just a works 8.5 and that is it.

Edited by Izzy, 17 July 2008 - 06:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users