Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Super Slowly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matt4235

matt4235

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:08 PM

my dell dimension e310 is running so slowly, and i cant figure out the problem. its only running at 10% most of the time, but acts like i have 10 things running at the same time. i intalled windows defender, symantic antvirus, and ran all sorts of anti spyware programs but nothing is helping. i wanted to se if you guys had any input before i just reboot and start all over. other than running slow- there seems to be nothing wrong at all. thanks in advance for any input
matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:33 AM

There are a lot of things that can make you computer run slow, so let's just look at a few of these first.

How large is you hard drive, and how much free space do you have on it? A hdd needs to have at least 15% free space for swap space, if it doesn't this will bog the computer down. You can find this out by going to Start> My Computer, and place the pointer over the C: drive and leave it, the free space and total size will be shown.

How much RAM do you have?

When was the last time that you defragged your hdd?

I see that you have been running scans, but are you running them in Safe Mode? Safe Mode is a special mode that has a limited amount of applications and is ideal for running these scans as some infections may be able to hide in normal scans.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 matt4235

matt4235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

i already defragged a few days ago, and the hard drive is 160, and is probably only using 30. its my parents computer- so they dont have much stuff on it.
any other advise?
otherwise its reboot time :thumbsup:
matt

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:26 PM

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Louis

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

Your hard drive may be set to the wrong mode.

1. Right click My Computer select properties
2. Select the Hardware tab and click device manager
3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers group
4. Double click Primary IDE Channel
5. Select the Advanced Settings tab
6. What is the current Transfer mode for Device 0?

If the mode is set to PIO Only select the driver tab and click Uninstall
This will uninstall the driver and reboot the system. Upon reboot the driver will be replaced and you should be using the correct setting.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

If your Dell has a diagnostics partition, run those tools (especially the hard drive test). That may reveal something.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users