Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Viewer File Corrupt In Xp? Applications

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dingdingding

dingdingding

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not.

Whenever I got into the event viewer (which is very rarely), I get a box telling me that my applications area is corrupt. Here is how it goes:

I go into event viewer and hit 'applications'.

Applications window opens up and there is a bunch of stuff listed.

I touch the scroll bar on the right side of the apps window and this other box will pop up saying: 'the event log file is corrupt'.

So then you have to click 'okay' and then everything that was in the applications area disappears and the vacant area will say 'there are no items to show in this view'.

Then in the little list along the left hand side (the event folders list?), there will be a red 'x' on applications.

Is this something that I need to worry about?

I am using XP.

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

Try right-clicking on Application on the left and select "Clear all Events"
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

Okay, I cleared all of the events, and the red 'x' is gone. Does that mean that everything is okay now?

And also, is there a place on BC where I can read about what all of that stuff in the event viewer means?

Thank you. :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:20 PM

You can right click on the corrupted log, then click on properties, and then click on the clear button.

You should run chkdsk to repair this problem.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by clicking the first box, Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

Okay. I will go do that right now. :thumbsup:

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:36 PM

And also, is there a place on BC where I can read about what all of that stuff in the event viewer means?

Try here for starts:

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:54 PM

Okay, I did the chkdsk and it ran fine, but is it supposed to display some results, or does it just do it's thing and that's it?

Also, my Spybot got kind of mad at the whole process, but I think that that was because the chkdsk thing told me that it couldn't do it's job until the next time I started my computer, and 'did I want to schedule that?'. So I said 'yes', and that's when Spybot alerted me to a registry change (if you need to see any of the exchange between me and Spybot, I think that I can retrieve that, because I told Spybot to remember it) and then I said to allow the change, and etc etc. I restarted my computer and the chkdsk thing ran fine.

Should the event viewer thing be fixed now?

And thank you both for your time and expertise, and thank you Budapest for the link. I shall go and do some reading. :thumbsup:

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, the event viewer thing should be fixed (although, there's no guarantees in life :thumbsup: ).

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

lol! Thank You! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users