Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Automatic Updates/super Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dingdingding

dingdingding

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi All~

I am using Windows XP on my Dell Demension 4550.

I recently switched the automatic updates back on (can't remember why I shut it off to begin with) and it worked fine.....except that it downloaded so many updates, that it began to interfere with what I was doing on my computer (working, uploading images to my site, etc), so I shut it back off again (planning on turning it on once again when my work isn't so pressing and time sensitive). Automatic updates is currently off.

Well, ever since I shut the automatic updates off (and have installed god-only-knows how many updates and patches), my computer is suuuuuuuper slooooooooow.

I notice this most when I'm on the internet, when a page can now take a minute or two to display (and even though I'm still on dial-up (nothing else is offered in my area), this is a long time). Even cruising through my bookmarks now takes forever (when the bookmarks used to just swoosh by, now they literally tick by at an absolute crawl). My cursor and keyboard will also sometimes lag behind, but that happens most when the page I'm loading is loaded with big images (myspace is a good example).....but then again, this lagging didn't happen until I installed all of those updates.

My browsers are Mozilla and Firefox (and I switch back and forth between the two constantly).

I am loaded up with anti-virus, anti-malware and I use Sygate Personal Firewall. My anti-virus/spyware/malware list goes like this:

AVG
Stinger
Spyware Blaster
Spybot Search and Destroy
CCleaner
Clean Up!
Ad-Aware 6
Sygate Firewall
CWShredder

And I may have even missed one or two (and I think that some of what I've listed are more like utilities than programs?). All of my anti-everything programs have worked flawlessly together for a number of years now. The only big change I've made, are the windows updates (and I just installed a new monitor yesterday, but this problem was going on before the new monitor).

Anyway, what should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dingdingding

dingdingding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

Update :thumbsup:

I wanted to post that I think that I've solved this problem myself. I appreciate everyone reading my post though, and I wanted to thank those who were giving my problem some thought.

I also wanted to say, that no matter when, why, how, people show up here, being here is always a positive learning experience and I am very grateful that this place exists.

Thank You. :flowers:

Edited by dingdingding, 18 July 2008 - 02:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users