Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating A Dual Boot With Win 2k Existing And Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dumduck

dumduck

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:00 PM

I am using win 2k on an 80 Gig HD with plenty of room I want to add XP in a dual boot, how do I do this.
regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starfireone

starfireone

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

Hi Dumduck,

If you have used all 80GB as a single partition for W2k you would have to wipe out/reformat your hard drive
for two partitions. And install XP on partition 1 and re-install W2k on partition 2. Or you could buy and install a
second hard drive and install XP on hd 2.

Thanks
Starfireone

www.nickscomputerfix.com

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:54 AM

You can download Linux live CD and use it to repartition the hdd. You can find instructions and a download site for the Linux here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 tossy

tossy

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:36 AM

Hey, while browsing I came across these sites..... hope these could help you.
http://ctrls.taragana.net/archive/how-to-r...g-linux-live-cd
http://blog.linuxoss.com/2005/11/howto-rep...t-reformatting/

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:45 AM

For dual boot you need 2 partitions. You have only one. You can either repartition, deleting all present data. Or you can use softwares like partition magic to create another partition without destroying present data. You can also buy a new drive and install XP on it, easy :thumbsup: There are linux programs too for partitioning, but you'll have to reboot using Linux live cd like other fellas have mentioned.

If you repartition current disk you can use softwares like seagate disk manager. But be careful, all data on the disk will be destroyed.

When you have two partitions. Install Windows 2000 first on the first partition C:. Then insert WindowsXP CD when Windows2000 is running, follow instructions. Do not select "Upgrade" but selecte "new installation". Select "I will choose partition during setup". Select "Install all files to had disk". Choose second partition D: during setup later.

#6 dumduck

dumduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

Many thanks one and all, most usefull, the reason for this is I have a creative Zen V which needs XP or above to run it, as I use Win 2K a solution would be to create a dual boot on my HDD and install a copy of XP just so I can use my Zen. Better still is there any 3rd party drivers I can get for the Zen to enable 2 K working.
regards

Edited by dumduck, 21 July 2008 - 02:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users