Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Freeze

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JeffATL

JeffATL

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

Hi all...This is my first post but am excited to join you community...

I recently put together and external raid 1 drive and am having some issues accessing one of the folders I copied to it...All the other folders are fine...Initially I thought it was the drives so I returned them and got 2 more but am having the same issue...I have these folders on 2 other drives and have no issues...When I double click on the "problem folder" explorer freezes for about 20-30 seconds and then returns and all is well...Unless I back arrow to the main directory...Then same problem...It's an older PC but it runs great and has no issues with my 320gb external drive...The Raid one has 2x 500gb drives...I've formatted and repartioned 2x and have even renamed the folder before copying...Please help... :thumbsup:

Windows XP Home
2.4 single core 478 FSB
1 gig of RAM

Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

A single drive cannot be a RAID...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_arr...dependent_disks

If you are trying to say that you attempted to copy data from a RAID 1 setup...to an external single hard drive, that makes some sense to me.

Generally speaking...anytime I have problems with a given file, group of files or foler/group of folders, I suspect bad sectors or hard drive problems.

Louis

#3 JeffATL

JeffATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

It's not a single drive...It's a dual 3.5 enclosure that can do all kinds of RAIDs and JBOD's etc...It's controlled by jumper or a gui and I opted for the jumpers and know the drive is raided correctly because...I can't remember the name of it but there's software installed that shows it's RAIDed correctly...

I know it's not the hard drive...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

OK :thumbsup:, thanks.

So you have a RAID 1 external combo.

FWIW: Every hard drive...has some bad sectors, with the only variable being whether or not the user places files on such. You might read the comments of rforce at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245985-3...ors-brand-drive, just for GP.

So your RAIDed drives are still susceptible to possible data, program, or O/S files being placed on bad sectors.

The common way that I check is via chkdsk /r. If chkdsk /r cannot take care of it, I go to the manufacturer's diagnostic for opinions on the health of the drive.

So you have at least 4 hard drives which it probably only takes one of them to be suspect...to cause a potential problem, IMO.

If you insist that you "know" it's not "the" hard drive, then...I really don't know what to suggest other than a corrupted folder or bunch of files. AFAIK, the best way to check for file corruption is to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, command prompt, or My Computer.

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2008 - 02:48 PM.

#5 JeffATL

JeffATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

"Combo"? I've heard that term to describe a tasty cheese filled pretzel but never an external drive...There's nothing combo about it...Dude you don't know what you're talking about...Don't bother posting to this thread any more...Stop wasting my time "combo" boy...

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

What kind of files are in this "problem folder"?

Sometimes problems with viewing thumbnails can cause this, in which case you could try the following:

Go Start > Run and type "regsvr32 shmedia.dll".
Go Start > Run and type "regsvr32 shimgvw.dll".

You may need to reboot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 JeffATL

JeffATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

Hey Budapest...Thanks for the response...

The folder contains all kinds of files...It's a backup folder...Same folder exists in it's exact same form in 3 other places on 3 different drives and there are no issues...& the other folders on the same drive have no issues...It works just fine in "Safe Mode: I'll run what you suggest when I get home this evening...That is an interesting thought about the thumbnails...I'll change the folder view settings in that folder as well...Even though it appears the same in all those other places...

Edited by JeffATL, 17 July 2008 - 01:01 PM.

#8 JeffATL

JeffATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

Did all that Budapest and no change...installed 2x Explorer, a Windows Explorer alternative and it works flawlessly...So it's definitely a problem with Windows Explorer...I'm digging for an update...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users