Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems After Creating New Partitions On Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SLR

SLR

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:06 PM

I recently deleted the 3 partitions on my hard disk, and created three new ones and reinstalled windows. Now anything I download from the internet is corrupt, .exe s dont work, zip files dont extract. No problem with the isp because my other computer works fine with the downloaded files from the internet. When I copy files from my other computer on a usb stick and run them from the usb stick on my main computer then it runs fine, but when i copy the files on the hard disk of my troubled computer then again it says its corrupt.

How I can solve this problem without doing the partition again and will that solve my problem any way.

Windows Xp professional, 512 mb, 2.8 gz

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

I'd suggest that you run a diagnostic on the hard drive...and check the network connection settings for the two systems.

If both are using the same device for Internet access and one works fine, while the other does not...maybe the settings are different.

Personally, I know of nothing that consistently causes corrupt downloads...but I did find this link where someone has a theory. From http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index...livion_Mods_FAQ , click on 3d question.

[edit] How do I avoid corrupt downloads?
Q. I keep getting corrupt or incomplete downloads. Why can't I download this? Can you host it somewhere else?

Quick tips for a successful download:

Check free drive space.
Disable firewall.
Use a Download Manager
There are quite a few very large mods for Oblivion, and a lot of players seem to have trouble downloading them.

If you're having trouble downloading a large mod file, especially when the download consistently dies just before finishing, chances are that it's your firewall causing the problem. Temporarily disable the firewall, download the file, then re-enable the firewall. You should also check to make sure you have enough free space on your boot drive (where the temp file is kept during the download) and wherever you're saving the file. Using a Download Manager is also a very good idea, and may be critical for some really huge mods.

(The following is adapted from Using a Download Manager by Monica21.)

With very large mods, it's a good idea to use a download manager. Among some critical features like the ability to resume downloads when connections are lost, download managers also claim to speed up downloads by opening up multiple connections. The idea is that if one connection is good, then 5, 8, 10 or even 20 simultaneous connections must be terrific. This probably isn't really the case most of the time since the limiting factor is probably your connection speed. However, download managers are critical when attempting to download very large files. Some work better than others.

Here's a few that work well:

Internet Download Manager
FlashGot
DownloadThemAll!
Free Download Manager

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users