Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchasing Oem Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 swebb32_99

swebb32_99

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

Has anyone had any luck in purchasing XP from one of these 'bulk online' retailers. I know that the pirated software can be/is bad for a number of reasons, but I'm if anyone legitimately sells the software this cheap. I recently had to reinstall my operating system and my XP cd wouldn't start on bootup, so I had to install another OS first. I was able to download the XP boot files, but there's no floppy on the laptop and I couldn't figure out how to make a bootable installation cd. A legitimate site list the price at $250+, but the other site has it as $60. Also, I have a System Builder XP Preinstall CD that came with my other computer, but I couldn't figure out how to install the system. Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

OEM and/or retail versions of XP can be had from various bona fide sellers:

http://www.bizrate.com/operatingsystems/mi...m__sort--6.html

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...672|&Sort=4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Louis

#3 swebb32_99

swebb32_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

these are actually the 3 sites i was referring to. i noticed that bizrate had the lowest prices, but it comes from someone else. i already have the oem preinstall version but couldn't figure out how to use it. the person who built my other computer gave it to me in case anything went wrong, but i wanted to make that i got the right kind since my copy of xp won't install on bootup.

is possible that ms would provide another since this is a real copy that is now bad (i guess)?

thanks again

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

I don't know what a preinstall version of an O/S is...but I'm pretty sure that it's of no value to anyone who desires to install a bona fide copy of XP in 2008.

The OEM and retail versions of XP have all that a user needs.

Louis

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

Wonder if the 'preinstall O/S' Isn't the preinstall tools mentioned here? That consist of "The OPK tools—such as Setup Manager, the System Preparation Tool (SysPrep), and WinPE—are located on a separate CD in the 3-packs and available only through Microsoft Authorized Distributors. The tools are not available for download."

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 swebb32_99

swebb32_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

Wonder if the 'preinstall O/S' Isn't the preinstall tools mentioned here? That consist of "The OPK tools—such as Setup Manager, the System Preparation Tool (SysPrep), and WinPE—are located on a separate CD in the 3-packs and available only through Microsoft Authorized Distributors. The tools are not available for download."

that's exactly what it is! I was able to read some of the .doc files to get going, but it seemed like it is for mass retailers or builders. I need to reinstall my son's OS, so hopefully my regular XP Pro will work this time.

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users