Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod On Startup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

Dell inspiron 3000
Windows XP pro, kosher s/n etc
System reinstqlled about 6 months ago

I started my PC up as normal the other day, it went through the boot process until the logon screen no problems.

I couldn't type my password, as no cursor was showing; I assumed I had a keyboard error.

I turned off the PC, and restarted, got the usual "computer did not start " msg you get in these circumstances. I tried to boot it on last known good configuration.

It went through process, the a BSOD flashed for about half a second, and the machine restarted.

This is all it now does. I THINK I can read something about memory before the BSOD disappears, but that is all;

Is there any way of stopping the comp on the BSOD so I can read it? I think that once I can read it, I should be able to sort the problem. There is nothing in the error log except a couple of really old keyboard missing msgs.

I had done no hardware changes (or software changes as far as I know) except for swapping the RAM around since this has occurred - just in case.

Apologies for any typois - I am doing this on a French (azerty) keyboard at the library and it's doing my head in. :thumbsup:

*edit*I should mention - no possibilty of virus, etc, as PC has not been online the past 6 months - I did install, downloaded updates, and that was the last time it was connected.

Edited by wizardofaus, 16 July 2008 - 09:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

Can you get into Safemode? Usually by tapping the F8 key after the BIOS loads
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

In the same screen with Last Known Good Configuration and Safe Mode, there should be an option (towards the bottom of the list) that states something similar to "Disable automatic restart" - select that, then try booting.

It should stop at the BSOD and you'll be able to copy down the info needed. Then just press the power button to shut the system down, and press it again to restart it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

cant do a safe mode start.

I will try disabling auto restart and get back

#5 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:32 AM

OK - I am home now, and have tried various things - I dont get an option to disable auto restart. Any information I have managed to get I have put below.

I have therefore photod the BSOD - it appears for one frame of a quicktime movie taken on a digital camera.Posted Image yup, I know it's rubbish - but what can I do with a BSOD that flashes for 1/15th of a second?

I tried running the xp install disk and doing a repair, but that made no difference. Is there any way to actually boot into safe mode from an install CD? I suspect the hard drive is fried, but it reports back OK on the diagnostic (I think):

Primary IDE
Drive 0:Maxtor 90645D3 - diagnostic not supported

If I try reboot in promt mode the system seems to load OK unril Sys32\drivers\MUP.SYS

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:38 AM

It looks to me like it says: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

I would suggest you follow the advice in this MS web page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Seeing how you have the XP disk you should be able to access the recovery console as suggested. Let us know how it goes! Good luck.

EDIT: If it helps you, you can download hard drive testing software from the manufacturer of the hard drive (not neccessarily the same company as the manufacturer of the computer). There is a hard drive fitness test that supposedly works with all manufacturers drives, it can be downloaded from here: http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

But it is sounding more and more like a bad hard drive. Personally I would wait until I got a good test result before spending money to replace it, just to be sure.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 02 August 2008 - 06:48 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

UNBELIEVAVBLE!

It worked. Thats the first time one of those MS processes has ever worked for me.

For anyone else with the same problem, Where the instrusctions say:

5.At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

Type chkdsk . I dont know what the /r is for, it doesnt do anything

Thanks to all concerned.
S

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

That /r is an instruction specifying that the command should recovery any data from bad sectors...which might be stored on such. Bad sectors are sections of a hard drive which can be considered damaged and unreliable for data storage.

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1583&page=3

Louis

#9 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

The things is, though, that CHKDSK/r returned "invalid command"

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

Yes...there should be a space between the chkdsk and the /r...or it is an invalid command.

S/B chkdsk /r, not chkdsk/r.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users