Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Results With Pc Inspector, Half Photos Recovered

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mindnova

mindnova

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

I have XP sp3 home on a laptop and crashed windows. I tried PC inspector and when it recovered photos they were bottom half solid grey and top half fine. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do.

Now for the strange part, I used Maxtor Maxblast a free program and backed up the crashed drive with no compression. I ended up with nine 4.1 gig. sections that will fit nicely on dvd's. While looking thorugh these by just opening the files I found all my data intact and recoverable.

I though the maxtor would just make a image of the crashed OS and I could then use data recovery software to dig it out. Instead I don't need data recovery software as when it imaged it, it recovered everything to an accesable condition. Seems really strange.

If I can't get PC inspector to work I guess I will just use a demo of payware to verify what maxtor did and be happy with my results.

Oh, and here is the link to Maxtor Maxblast http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/ What appears to be a non-recovery, recovery software for free.

Thanks

Mindnova

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:59 AM

Hello mindnova,

I have had that problem before, I put it down to the fact that PCInspector did not have a sophisticated recovery algorithm.

The solid part on the image is is usually an indication that part of the file has been overwritten. Recovery products all have varying levels of success when it comes to recovering certain file formats as they search and recover data using different methods.

would the hard drive in your system be a maxtor/seagate?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 mindnova

mindnova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:57 AM

No I should have listed that info. my harddrive is a western digital WD600-WD Scorpio 60 GB. So this works on non maxtor drives.

What is odd is that if the photos were partially overwritten then the drive image should have not displayed the whole photo. It's almost as if maxblast is also part recovery software it's self.

I figure what I will do is download a payware and check the files againest the image and then go ahead and format and repair my drive.

Maybe I just got lucky it seems to be how I have been learning about computers is 70% luck and 30% hardheadedness.
Shame it won't cut it on a job interview.

Thanks

Mindnova

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

Maxblast must be an advanced tool to do that. It would be interesting to see if it can stand up with commercial products.
70%luck and 30%hard-headedness is a great combination.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users