Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Reinstall Freezes, Reboot Fails

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:20 AM

I'm deserately in need of help with trying to reinstall XP Pro on my Dell desktop. Here's the short story: I'm recovering from what I believe to be a network virus that attacked both the desktop and my laptop (networked wirelessly). Neither had internet connectivity, so after replacing modem, etc. we tried another laptop on my ethernet cable -- good signal. So, that meant it had to be my PCs. I was able to restore the laptop (Vista) back to factory settings, and I've got it up and running now, no problem.

The desktop (XP Pro) is another story. I called Dell tech support and they had me put in the original XP cd, boot from the cd, and reformat the hard drive. However, when it came to reinstalling, the setup program kept freezing. It would hang up, so I'd hold the power button, restart the computer and try again. I've since reformatted the hard drive at least 3 times, to no avail. Still freezes in setup. Now, I'm getting various errors when I attempt to reinstall - things like "insufficient system resources" and lsass.exe error of some kind.

I thought a reformat of the hard drive would wipe out everything, and I'd be good to go. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:31 AM

Hello NewHorizon1 and welcome,

What steps did you take when reformatting the system? You are correct that a reformat will erase the partition or drive.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

Generally...I don't reformat an existing partition, I believe that deleting any existing partition and then creating a new one/formatting/installing XP...mimimizes my concerns over the install.

Louis

#4 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

I put in the CD, booted from the disk, chose the option to format the hard drive and let it run, all while I was on the phone with the Dell tech support guy.

Louis mentioned deleteing the partition... can you tell me more about that?
Thanks!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

Delete vs Format, http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft...difference.html

Louis

#6 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

Ok, I understand delete vs. format, but I'm using XP, and I have no idea how to do the delete. Can anyone help with that?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:55 AM

Most install instructions, either repair or clean, of Windows XP...are based on the user having a genuine MS XP CD.

This CD takes care of deleting existing partitions...creating/formatting new partitions for installation of XP...and installing XP. It also has various repair tools which are useful to XP users. These things combine to make it virtually necessary (IMO) for any user/owner who intends to try to take care of her/his computer problems...to have an XP CD.

Louis

#8 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

I've used the genuine XP CD, but it's still not working. Are there any other options? Why would it hang up and fail to install?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

Dirty CD, hard drive problems, possible memory problems...I don't know :thumbsup:.

Do you get any error messages when it freezes? Error messages are designed to help users solve the problem.

Louis

#10 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:31 AM

No error messages on the first couple of tries, it just froze. After repeated attempts, I got varying messages: insufficient system resources, a lsass.exe error i can't remember exactly b/c sometimes they flashed on the screen so quickly I couldn't see them. Then, it just went into this cycle of restarting over and over.

I did clean the CD to make sure it was okay, and I just installed new RAM cards about 2 months ago.

I feel like it either 1) has a hardware problem or 2) I've messed it up by repeatedly trying to restart the reinstall and it's got so much random stuff in there that it doesn't know which way to go.

I've been told "that's the problem with a Dell -- there's no way to truly wipe it clean", but this was from a local repair shop, who has a vested interest in my PC being broken and needing his help, with something called a Zap program.

But, I'd at least like to exhaust all of my resources before i go that route. Is there a way I can test the hardware or memory?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

Well...you cannot get the error messages you described...if you have deleted all existing partitions.

There is no file for error messages to reference, unless they are actually installing files and hanging up on said installation. There are no system resources to be accounted for because...there is no O/S to take account of such resources.

Contrary to what anyone may have told you...following the instructions I laid out will eliminate every trace of Dell, Gateway, whoever the boxmaker may be...on a system where the user wants to delete all existing partitions.

If you don't want to do that, that's your right/option. But then you are back to your current situation...

And...you always have the option of taking your system to a local shop and having them (probably) tell you or do the same things that readers/members will recommend here in the forum...and they'll charge you a lot more than any of us :thumbsup:.

That's the way I see it, pardon me if my vision is blurred.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users