Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Dvi Output On My Gerforce 6600gt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 B34R

B34R

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:18 AM

Hey there,

I wondered if anyone had any input on this problem as its starting to annoy me and I can't get any straight answers browsing the internet. So to the problem.... I recently got given a flatscreen monitor as a hand me down from a friend. The monitor in question is a Hyundai Imagequest Q17+. Problems began when I got the monitor back to my house and tried using the DVI port. The monitor would show the pre-windows information on screen. However as soon as it started windows the screen would go blank. The only way to rectify this was to use the VGA ports. Now I know the monitor works fine as my friend has been using it for a long time without problems and utilising the DVI. The monitor was given to me because he wanted a bigger one, not because it was damaged. So my understanding is that the problem is most likely the video card itself or the drivers. After looking around on the internet I found a few problems similar to mine and a lot of people were saying that the issue is with the drivers and that the Nvidia Drivers 81.74 worked. Other people mentioned that before they updated the Nvidia drivers their monitors worked. So I suppose I want to know is their any validity behind these comments. Why would drivers be created that make an important function defunct. This seems ridiculous! Oh and I have a Geforce 6600GT graphics card, if you didn't see it in the post title. Any information would be much appreciated as for some reason the VGA doesnt support very high resolutions and some of my games are now unplayable. Thankyou in Advance

p.s. Please don't tell me upgrade components as I don't have the cash and this isn't really a good solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:52 AM

See if you can get into Safemode. What type was your previous monitor? You might have to adjust the refresh rate and/or resolution
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

I previously had a 19inch CRT. I've tried changing the refresh rates and resolution for the digital display in the control panel. Once you change them the settings revert back. Also if you try and se the monitor type as digital display in windows, there is no signal so the monitor goes back to analogue. When you say go into safe mode, do you mean safe mode with a the DVI port active only?? I'll try that as I'm assuming that's what you mean.

Edited by B34R, 16 July 2008 - 08:01 AM.

#4 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

Well the DVI output works in safe mode, so to me that says its a driver issue and not a hardware one. Any ideas?

Edited by B34R, 16 July 2008 - 02:56 PM.

#5 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:14 AM

No one? Has anyone else heard about the NVidia drivers not supporting DVI on older cards?

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

The nvidia drivers were originally installed using the VGA port.
Download the latest drivers for your card.
Remove the drivers that are currently installed.
Shut down and unhook the VGA cable, hook up the DVI cable.
Boot up and install the drivers you downloaded.
Hope that helps.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks I'll post the results here when I get them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users