Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wms Idle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bonnyrig

bonnyrig

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:08 AM

Every time I try to close down my computer it throws up a message "WMS Idle - Ending program please wait" after a few seconds the message changes to "End Program - WMS Idle This program is not responding..."

My o/s is Windows XP Proessional

I admit it is nothing more than annoying, but I'd still rather not have it at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:48 AM

Do you have Microsoft Office Communicator 2005 running when this occurs? This Microsoft article indicates that this error is related to Microsoft Office Communicator, and suggests that if this application isn't closed before shutting down the computer this error will occur.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bonnyrig

bonnyrig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:13 AM

No I don't have Communicator 2005

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

Do you have Google Earth installed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Map_Service

Louis

#5 bonnyrig

bonnyrig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

I do - suggest remove and re-instal?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

That's the route I would take :thumbsup:. Won't do any harm, may do some good.

Louis

#7 bonnyrig

bonnyrig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

Uninstalling Google Earth has not got rid of the little blighter. I realise however that the first message I get when switching off my computer is "End Program - WMS Idle Ending program please wait...." before it times out and the next message comes in to show "End Program - WMS Idle This program is not responding..."

I don't know if the fact that the first info. box is title End Program is significant?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

Well...that's just telling you that XP tried to close the program down...but the program did not respond to the typical XP shutdown procedures.

I suppose that you can provide additional time for shutdown, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q305788

In any case, I believe those two error messages belong together...the first indicating that XP is closing down a running program (I get this with SUPERAntispyware), the second telling you that the program is not responding to shutdown procedures (I don't get this one, SAS plays the game).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users