Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update With Ms Excel

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tdaddy23

tdaddy23

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:25 PM

Hope someone can help. Windows update downloaded a update for MS office Professional with Fontpage. The problem is it wants to have the cd that it was installed from to update it. This was preloaded with computer when I got it. It will not let me use Excel or any other program from office cause it wants to install that update. i tried deleting the contents of windows/SoftwareDistribution. its not in the remove programs either. any ideas thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:35 AM

Hello tdaddy23,

You would probably need to go to the place you got the system from and ask for the office CD to fix the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:09 AM

There is no other way

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

Thats the only way I'm aware of, short of purchasing a copy of office.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

will a system restore before the update work?

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

When you install office on windows, it leaves a temporary stash of install files that are used to add and repair certain features. I suspect that this stash has been removed from the system by a cleaning application. If the restore point goes back before the files were deleted there may be a chance. A system restore might stop the update from partially installing. I have never had much success with system restore.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:30 PM

It really dont make since to have to go out and buy a copy of office because windows update updated it i wants a orginal cd. I would think Im not the only peron that has preloaded software included with the computer and doesnt have all the cds for each program. There must be a way of backing out the update. I tried system restore and will not restore. Anyone else have any ideas?

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

You could try downloading the latest service pack for the office suite http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/default.aspx What is the name of the update causing the problem?
Regards,

Alan.

#9 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

thanks i will try that. I'll let you know if that works

#10 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:57 PM

I feel like a lucky man. Although I tried the microsoft site and It didnt work, I went in on the add/remove and selected reinstall. It went about half way through and again it wanted the cd. I hit cancel and tried to open excel and it worked. It must half deleted the update file it was tring to install. Thanks for your help

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:10 PM

No problem, glad to help. Well done :thumbsup: Usually when a Microsoft product encounters an error its a reinstall job to fix the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users