Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Conflict Causing Lag.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 j_a_m_i_e

j_a_m_i_e

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hey, Recently, my brother and I have been getting an error message about IP conflicts, there are three others using a pc in the house all using wireless on our sky hub, but we are the only ones that have the error. When I try to play a game BF2 for example and my brother does as much as stream a video I get high ping and my internet slows right down. When he is off the internet it is fine and when others and me exluding my brother are on it is still fine. His pc ip is the same as mine except its .5 and the end and mine is .4 which I thought might have something to do with it maybe :S Any help would be much appreciated :thumbsup: thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:07 PM

It may have to do with overload on the line. I don't know.

What do you mean by .4 and .5 - the last byte of the ip address, line something like 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.5? You can print the whole addresses, they're private, no security risk whatsoever to post.

Just make sure all computers get a different IP address from the router.
Go over to each computer when they are all on,
Start > Run > cmd
Now type ipconfig /all
to confirm everybody's IP is different - since your suspicion (subject title) is IP conflict.

You can safely post the entire text from ipconfig since posting IP or MAC (physical address) is no risk, nobody can route to it.

What do you mean you get "high ping"?
How many addresses is your router permitted to give out? Perhaps not enough for the crowd.

#3 j_a_m_i_e

j_a_m_i_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:23 AM

hi,

His ip is 192.168.0.5 and mine is 192.168.0.4

When I mean I get a high ping im only talking about BF2 and game like COD4, as normally I get a ping of about 40 but when my bro using the Internet on his pc it goes right up to the 400's. Basically, my internet slows right down as any operations such as loading an internet page or streaming a video will take allot longer.

Have checked all pc's and all IP's are different :S haven't seen the ip conflict for a couple of days now so was wondering whether repairing you connection gives you a different IP as I frequently do this. Although our IP's are different I am still getting this problem.

"How many addresses is your router permitted to give out? Perhaps not enough for the crowd."

I'm not sure about that but last week it was working absolutely fine, the only changes I can think of is that the hub has been moved upstairs recently meaning an extra computer is on wireless now as it was originally connected by wire downstairs.

Edited by j_a_m_i_e, 16 July 2008 - 03:26 AM.

#4 j_a_m_i_e

j_a_m_i_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

Anyone? :D

#5 j_a_m_i_e

j_a_m_i_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

bump

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:55 AM

What you are describing sounds normal. Think of it like this: if everyone in your neighborhood was watering their lawn at the same time, your water pressure would be weak (high ping). You can only pass so much water through the pipe, if someone else is using a lot of water (bandwidth) then your response times will affected. It happens to me when my wife surfs and I am trying to play a game, my ping times go sky high. If you wanted to avoid this you would need a QOS router that allows you to control how much speed (bandwidth) everyone else gets, thus giving you more so your pings stay lower. It is also called a gaming router sometimes, hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users