Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Router Issue {certian Websites Not Displaying}

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kitana

Kitana

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

I'm having an odd issue that I've narrowed down to a problem with my router.

After I got off work yesterday I tried to access myspace.com. It would hardly load (take around 5 minutes to do so), and then I could not log in. I wrote this off as a problem with MySpace and forgot about it. Later that night I found out everyone I knew could access it with no problem what so ever. I could access it on my phone as well. I figured it was a problem with my computer so I ran virus scans, cleared the cache, the works. Still nothing. In the morning I talked to my mother, who uses another computer in the house, and she told me she couldn't access certain websites either. I tried the websites I couldn't access on her computer and sure enough they didn't work on hers either. I connected my computer directly to my modem, and the websites came up just as quickly as any other. So that's how I figured out it was my router.

I'm 99% positive I need to update the firmware. I called Linksys, and because my router was out of warranty they wanted to connect me to another department and charge me $29.99 just to talk to them. Yep, no thanks!

So that's when I come to you guys. Everywhere I look about updating the firmware tells me that I'll download a .zip file from Linksys, but the file that I get when clicking on the firmware update is a .bin file! Could someone please guide me in the right direction?

I have Windows Vista, my mother has Windows XP.
Our router is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. WRT54G version 8
Anything else you need to know, just let me know. Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

A firmware or BIOS update should be a .bin file :thumbsup:.

But you also normally need a utility file which provides access to the contents of the .bin file.

Take a look at this guide: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8756

Louis

#3 Kitana

Kitana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

A firmware or BIOS update should be a .bin file :thumbsup:.

But you also normally need a utility file which provides access to the contents of the .bin file.

Take a look at this guide: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8756

Louis

That's actually the guide I was looking at. The unzipping part confused me though. I googled a program to unzip .bin files found ALZip and when I tried to unzip my .bin file, I got an error that says "Error: Invalid Archive." Bah...help!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

Before you update the firmware, and possibly turn it into a brick, why don't you take it out of the equation? Hook a computer directly to the modem, without the router, and see if the problem still persists
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Kitana

Kitana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

Before you update the firmware, and possibly turn it into a brick, why don't you take it out of the equation? Hook a computer directly to the modem, without the router, and see if the problem still persists

I did, and I stated that in my original post.

"I connected my computer directly to my modem, and the websites came up just as quickly as any other. So that's how I figured out it was my router."

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

Sorry, my eyes are getting old
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:26 PM

Router model/name, please?

Louis

Disregard, apologies for not reading every line in post :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#8 DJC 34

DJC 34

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

I know that router and you shouldn't need the latest firmware. That is probably the most commonly used router out there. In the back of the router there is a reset button. Hold it in for about 5 secs and power cycle the router. It will reset all your settings including the wireless but try that and see what you got. I'm assuming your using cable modem which will be fine with the reset of the router. If your using a DSL modem with user/pass authorization you would also wipe out these settings and have to reconfigure the router to work with that. Try the reset then if that does not work go to the firmware upgrade but I've installed that exact router 30 times in the last 2 years and never had one problem with it. I never had anyone upgrade the firmware either.

#9 Kitana

Kitana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

Router model/name, please?

Louis

I provided the name and model in my original post. Linksys wireless-g broadband router. Model WRT54G version 8, I believe. I can't double check cause im posting from my phone. Check my first post to be sure.

#10 Kitana

Kitana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:36 PM

I know that router and you shouldn't need the latest firmware. That is probably the most commonly used router out there. In the back of the router there is a reset button. Hold it in for about 5 secs and power cycle the router. It will reset all your settings including the wireless but try that and see what you got. I'm assuming your using cable modem which will be fine with the reset of the router. If your using a DSL modem with user/pass authorization you would also wipe out these settings and have to reconfigure the router to work with that. Try the reset then if that does not work go to the firmware upgrade but I've installed that exact router 30 times in the last 2 years and never had one problem with it. I never had anyone upgrade the firmware either.

Yes, I do have a cable modem. I tried resetting the router, and that didn't work either. This is very aggravating! It wouldn't bug me so much if some of the sites weren't sites that my mother and I visit very frequently. Can you, or someone, help me on updating the firmware? As I mentioned previously I tried to unzip the .bin file and it gave me an error. I don't know what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users