Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Desktop, No Icons, No Taskbar..etc.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 weadsd

weadsd

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hey, I'm in need of help with this screwed up PC.
I was doing a scan with the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware [to get rid of Antivirus2008], and then at the end of the scan, told me to reboot. So I did, but it took a quite amount of time, so I was just, you know, damn shut this thing off.

When I restarted the computer however, there was a VERY slowslowslow start up when I logged into my account. When I finished loading, there was nothing but a blue screen [from the Antivirus2008 I think..] and .. well that was it.
No desktop, no icons, no taskbars, mouse moves perfectly find. I tried to checkif task bar was hiding, i pressed ctrl+alt and still no help. I can get to my task manager, and my cmd prompts, and also the internet.
I can't open C:\ drives or anything else.
Even when trying to right click on the desktop, it would not allow me to.

When trying to open a C:\, it would come up with, the Choose which programs to up. I use the IE and it would still not allow me to.
When I try running iexplorer.exe, I'd get

---------------------------
iexplorer.exe
Windows cannot find 'iexplorer.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
OK

When running explorer.exe

explorer.exe
Windows cannot find 'explorer.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
OK

And everything as the same from there on.

I can't change the names or whatever because I am not able to open my folders and files.
I cannot reboot with CD because I do not have the CD.

I tried running all kinds of antivirus programs that were popular and clean, tried running scans and yes, it did find some things, and deleted.
I have tried the regedit with the Winlogon and checking if it was set on explorer.exe
I tried the shellfix.zip and still did not work.
I do not have a system restore point besides today.

Please help.
[Windows XP Home edition]

edit
Forgot to mention, I did try running from SafeMode but same issues there too.
Tried chkdsk /r
Tried sfc /scannow [can't do this for some reason.. It will bring up that box with the loading thing then disappear..?]

Edited by weadsd, 15 July 2008 - 04:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

From a command prompt, try running: chkdsk /r (chkdsk-space-slashr)

Maybe that can unscramble things.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/power...004066687571562

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2008 - 04:10 PM.

#3 weadsd

weadsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

I've already tried that,
came up to be fine and it went through quickly. I forgot to mention that earlier.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:31 PM

OK...how about a repair install of XP?

Louis

#5 weadsd

weadsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

Is that the only way to go? =/
I just got this computer fixed up.. Alright, I'll try that at a later time

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

Read this:

http://removal-tool.com/antivirus-2008/

No standard malware removal tools like MBAM are likely to remove this. You are either going to remove it manually or re-post in the HighJackThis forum with a fresh report and let them guide you on it's removal. It is what it is...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 weadsd

weadsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, but I'm positive that antivirus2008 isn't really.. the reason why my computer is bare. xD
Thanks though and I'll give that a try to get rid of it though.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:48 PM

That is the problem...AntiVirus2008 is a fake scam that loads trojans and backdooor type stuff on your system...Removal of this isn't going to be as easy as you would like it to be...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#9 weadsd

weadsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:50 PM

Mm, I'm having trouble locating HKEY_USERS\Software\antivirus 2008
I don't have that.
And I can't check to see if I have
AntiVirus2008.exe
shlwapi.dll
wininet.dll
Antivirus 2008.lnk
Uninstall Antivirus 2008.lnk
because no folders are opening.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

FWIW - it's iexplore.exe not iexplorer.exe (iexplorer.exe may be a virus).

Also, here's the BC tutorial for removing Antivirus2008: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re.../antivirus-2008
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 weadsd

weadsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

Alright, I found one registry that had some Antivirus2008 it and I terminated that. Should I restart computer?
Or still look around how to unstinall those .dlls and .lnks?

I'm trying to open iexpore.exe but it wouldn't even give out an error thing, just like, it'd have that timer and nothing would happen.
I tried to open my docs that way but I can't find to do that either.

[Thanks for sticking with me =] ]

edit
I found out how to unstianll from cmd prompt, but when I try to delete shlawpi.dll, I'd get

RegSvr32
shlwapi.dll was loaded, but the DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found.

This file can not be registered.
OK

this happens to the wininet.dll as well.

I'm trying to also delete the Uninstall Antivirus 2008.lnk, Antivirus 2008.lnk, antivirus2008.exe
I'd get

RegSvr32
LoadLibrary("uninstall") failed - The specified module could not be found.

OK

Edited by weadsd, 15 July 2008 - 05:17 PM.

#12 weadsd

weadsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

Yeah, can anyone help?

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

I'm going to move this over to the Am I Infected forum where you'll get some more expert assistance.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 weadsd

weadsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

Thank you =]

Can anyone help me? :333
Oh and where am I supposed to find explorer.exe in the windows folder?

Edited by weadsd, 17 July 2008 - 10:42 AM.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

Hello weadsd,

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/157932/antivirus-2008-i-think-dx/ Because you have this log posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users