Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions On Choosing The Right Network Equip.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Snefe

Snefe

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

I'm a newbe at setting up a network.I have a Desktop,P4 2.8GHz,XP home,1gig ram....and a laptop,T5550,1.83GHz,Vista Premium,3gig ram...and a wireless capable printer. My intention is to hard wire to my desktop and run the other two componets wireless.Don't intend on doing any serious gaming...mostly just internet surfing.Anyone have suggestions on a good choice of router?(11g...11n?) I will soon be using my Surewest telephone broadband service.They offer 3,6,and10 Mbps as choices. Will 3Mbps be enough to run both computers for fast surfing? Will the laptop surf slower being that it has a slower processor...or does that even matter?And is there a tutorial that I can refer to on setting up my network?
Any other suggestions are most welcomed......Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

Hello Snefe,

I would recommend a netgear or linksys router and wireless n would be the faster choice. 3MBps should be suitable for fast browsing, although, the distance from the phone exchange will affect the speed. The processor does have an impact on performance but this is slight depending on what sites you are using. There are tutorials here at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/97/networking-mini-guides/ that will help.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Snefe

Snefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Alan! I will assume that the router instructions will guide me thru all the required
settings for all the componets for my wi-fi and to make sure it is secure from neighbors
as well as not disrupting their network. Thanks again...I will proceed with your suggestions. :thumbsup:

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

No problem, glad to help.

If the instructions don't help, just ask here.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Snefe

Snefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:37 AM

One last thought....I know the Netgear 802.11n router will be compatable with the 802.11g network adapters that came with my laptop and printer. Will my network only be as fast as the adapters that I am using? Will I be spending extra money on a faster 802.11n router with no benefits because of my 802.11g adapters? Or will I experience faster speeds with the 802.11n router vs 802.11g router?

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:06 AM

The router will be quick of the mark, but your connection to the router would be on g speeds. However n would be a better choice as it will be faster than the g equivalent and should have improved features. Also if you purchase new hardware or upgrade the existing setup, they will be able to utilise the n capability.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 Snefe

Snefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

Good points Alan.There will surely be future considerations to utilize the N router.
Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:14 AM

Regards,

Alan.

#9 Snefe

Snefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

I was going to buy a new wireless capable printer and put it in another room. I have a Canon printer that connects via USB. Is there a product that will plug into the Canon USB that will make it wireless? Is it cost effective?

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:28 PM

I have never used it, but I was looking into getting a wireless upgrade kit for printing.
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Printing-Up...A/dp/B000J3ZZ4Y
Regards,

Alan.

#11 Snefe

Snefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

As Always...thanks for leading me in the right direction Alan. Looks like there are a few choices out there. :thumbsup:

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users