Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Core Or More Ram

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Does it matter if my current cpu is a single core cpu if I want to put in a dual core in my computer or does it depend on the mobo? If so, my mobo d945gtp so could someone please tell me what dual core's are compatible with my cpu.

The reason I ask this my system tends to hang when I try to use convertx and when I try to download things or when I am scanning my computer for malware and and open up a couple of web sites. Does this sound like a single core CPU issue or would an increase of RAN from 512MB to 2GB solve my issue better? I appreciate your input.

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/CS-026628.htm

Pentium D is dual-core, Celeron D and Pentium are not.

Note the disclaimer at bottom of link re unsupported processors.

Personally, I think that a problem with a program is probably a RAM issue, not a reason to change CPUs.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2008 - 04:48 PM.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

An upgrade from a single core, to a dual-core Pentium D is very minimal. The dual-core Pentium-D's aren't that great. It would be easier, and cheaper to just upgrade your ram, which would also give you the bigger performance increase.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users