Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"system" Process In The Windows Task Bar Processes List?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sjaart

Sjaart

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

I noticed this after coming home from holidays yesterday, not quite sure what it is. After some googling I found out it could be a trojan, but I only have one "system.exe" file, and it seems to be legit(Located in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\).
Same goes for the "smss.exe" file and the "csrss.exe" file.

Has the process been there all along, or is it a trojan?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

Anytime you come across a suspicious file or one that you do not recognize, search the name using Google or the following links:
BC's File Database
BC's Startup Programs Database
File Research Center

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). It is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. The process ID's (PID's) must be checked in real time to determine what services each instance of svchost.exe is controlling at that particular time. To investigate these processes, see "How to determine what services are running under a Svchost.exe process" using Process Explorer.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

You can also download and use AnVir TaskManager Free or System Explorer to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
-- Then post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sjaart

Sjaart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

Okay, I went through all the svchost.exe, and they seem fine from what I can understand.

My concern is the process called "System" under the Windows Task Manager->Processes tab (Not System Idle Process, just System)

Is this a standard process in win2k ? I cant remember seeing it before, and after some googling I've learned that it could be some sort of keylogger.

Edit: a screenshot that might clarify: http://bildr.no/view/227436

Edited by Sjaart, 15 July 2008 - 01:39 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:40 PM

System is a process in kernel mode that contains most of the system threads and handles various basic system functions. This process cannot be terminated.

Default Processes in Windows 2000
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Sjaart

Sjaart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •