Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Stop Error Screen

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 rayandi

rayandi

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:52 AM

I posted this thread before and was being helped by someone, but they didn't return after the initial day. Maybe I wasn't clear but anytime I try to boot back up, it goes straight into the blue screen. I am able to start in safe mode. They asked me to boot back up in safe mode and go to run and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW". I did this but when I hit run or enter the run screen went away and nothing happened. So here is my original question.
I run windows xp. I was trying to download pictures on my computer from a disk that I made at a local drug store kodak kiosk when this started. I also found out a couple of days ago that a "friend" was surfing some really questionable sites. The computer was running fine until i put in this disk with pictures. I saved a few to the computer and then it blacked out and a blue screen came up with the following message. Also I tried turning it off and on a few times and it gets to the desktop and as soon as I try to go to the web or acess anything on the start menu, it goes right back to this blue page.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen apperars again, follow these steps
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a drever is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacuter for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options, such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select Advanced start up otions, then select safe mode

Stop:0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0x00000000,0xF96B57C0,0xF96B54BC)
Begining physical dump of memory
Phsical memory dump completed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by rayandi, 15 July 2008 - 06:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:55 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#3 rayandi

rayandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:57 AM

I went there after you suggested that in the previous thread, but to be honest with you, I was totally confused about what to do. :thumbsup:
Maybe I should have said before that I am not very computer literate when it comes to the technical side of computers.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

Do you have an XP CD?

Can you get to the BIOS?

Can you boot into Safe Mode on your system?

Louis

#5 rayandi

rayandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

I don't have an xp cd.
I'm not sure what you mean by can i get to the bios :thumbsup:
I can boot in safe mode.
Thanks for the help!

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

How old is this installation of windows? Have you been using this machine for years and this just suddenly occurred?

Have you recently installed new drivers for your graphics card or run Windows Update?

EDIT:

Safe Mode works... does Safe Mode With Networking Support work?

Billy3

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 15 July 2008 - 09:33 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 rayandi

rayandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:59 AM

I have had this computer for probably about 3 years, it came with the windows already installed. And yes this just suddenly occured.
I haven't insatlled any drivers or anything on here.
Agin, i'm sorry for not understanding but i'm not sure what "with networking support" means. I can go online in safe mode. I am on this site with this computer. I do have another computer upstairs but they aren't linked except by wireless modem.

Edited by rayandi, 16 July 2008 - 10:05 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:14 AM

Info: How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html AND http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Louis

#9 rayandi

rayandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

okay, if i get to this BIOS screen, what info do you need from that screen?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

<<If this screen apperars again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space.

If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacuter for driver updates.

Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.

Disable BIOS memory options, such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select Advanced start up otions, then select safe mode>>

The above was taken from your first post...did you do any of these things?

I asked about the BIOS because I wanted to assess the possibility of your using any tools which are on the XP CD. Since you don't have an XP CD, that route is out.

Louis

#11 rayandi

rayandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

Wow, I wasn't sure what info you needed. No I haven't done all those things. I don't know how. I was under the assumption that someone on here might could help me with that. If I knew how to do it myself I would have.

#12 rayandi

rayandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

I did some searching around and I have found my Windows xp CD.
I have two computers in the house and i'm pretty sure this is the one that came with this computer (the crazy one that is giving me so much trouble). So I don't know if that helps or not because again I will say, I have no idea how to do much of anything on the technical side of the computer.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:30 PM

OK...I just get a bit weary of posters saying "I've tried everything" when, in fact, that is not the case :thumbsup:.

Let's start with the premise that this is a driver problem, one that is corrupted or needs updating.

On second thought, let's not start with that one. Let's see if it's possibly malware related.

Have you scanned the system at all for malware? If you don't know what any of these terms are...just google them and there will be plenty of info available.

Is there an antivirus program installed and updated that has been run recently?

I would like for you take a look in Event Viewer, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ . The only items to focus on are errors...no informational items. Give me the 5 most recent errors, as reflected in Event Viewer...using the last time you had a blue screen as the start point (include any errors that day). I'd like the info in the Source, Event, and User columns only.

Thanks.

Louis

Almost forgot...how much free space is remaining on the C: partition and what is the size of the C: partition?

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2008 - 02:31 PM.

#14 rayandi

rayandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

No I will never post I have tried everything because I know nothing about any of this!, I guess I should have posted saying "I have tried nothing" lol!
okay yes I do run some antispyware. I use Spyware Blaster and Super anti spyware. Its probably been a week or two since I updated them. I don't usually run them, I thought if they were installed and updated they caught whatever. But if you want I will have them check the computer. I need to know if they will still run in safe mode. Let me know if you want me to do this.
Okay I hope this is the info you need from the event viewer. I am listing only the errors, not the information ones.
Application errors:
7/13 Description- Rejected Safe Mode action: Microsoft Outlook
7/13 Description- Fax Service failed to initalize because it could not initalize the TAPI devices
7/15 - 7/16 I have 17 of the same errors they all have the same description it is as follows...
" The COM+ Event system detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT wa 8007043C from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsytemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Security- no errors

System-
7/12- description- DCOM got error "THis service cannot be started in Safe Mode" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments""in order to runt the server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}
7/12-description- The Fax service depends on the Print Spooler service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependencey service or group failed to start.
7/12- description- The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Aavmker4
aswSP Fips intelppm SASDIFSV SASKUTIL
7/14 Description- Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address _______ on the Network Card with network address _________
7/15 DESCRIPTION- DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode" attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server" {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1BF92-0060081ED811}

Some of the errors came up more than once, but I checked an gave you them only once.

how much free space is remaining on the C: partition and what is the size of the C: partition?
Not sure how to find that out, but if you will tell me, I will check.

Edited by rayandi, 16 July 2008 - 04:44 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:06 PM

http://www.prevx.com/filenames/84783883457...VMKER4.SYS.html

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36774.0

http://www.file.net/process/intelppm.sys.html

http://www.file.net/process/fips.sys.html

OK...it seems that 2 Avast drivers, 1 XP crypto driver, 2 SUPERAntispyware drivers and 1 CPU driver...failed to make it out of the gate properly.

I'm always willing to bet on file corruption but I'd still like to rule out malware before moving on to that. The fact that your AV and key spyware program didn't load properly...evokes some concern.

Let's wait a bit for inputs from others...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users