Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Freeze-up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 geotan

geotan

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:12 AM

Goodday again to all you Gurus,
Some time ago all my Desktop icons turned to blank squares and my computer froze. I couldn't use the mouse or keyboard. I had to force close the computer. I left it for a few minutes and then restarted. It restarted as normal but I still had the blank squares on the Desktop, no mouse and no keyboard. A "professional" computer repair company collected my computer and returned it next day. He would not wait while I hooked it up, just wanted the large amount of money they had charged. I have a lot of problems and when I have phoned the company my calls have fallen on deaf ears. Now in the hands of a solicitor.

This is a list of problems.
1. Cannot access Outlook Express - keeps asking for user name and password.
2. Every time I try to access the Internet I get the dreaded "Has to close". Sometimes it shows my Home page as Microsft even though that is not my home page.
3. I had to put serial numbers into all the Adobe programmes I use. Computer wil not accept serial number for Adobe Audition 2. For some reason there are TWO instances of the programme in Change/Remove Programmes - I cannot delete either of them. I tried a reinstall over the top but it will not let me.
4. Every time I close my computer down it says that there are two updates to install. It goes through the process and then tells me that the two updates were not installed.
5. When I try to delete certain files [not always the same extension] the computer tells me that they cannot be deleted as they are being used by another programme. I can restart the computer, have no programmes running and it still tells me the same thing. This morning I tried deleted some files that I have not used for about FOUR months and got the same message.
6. I have a card reader installed. I go through the process for removing the card correctly but if I put another card in or the same card back in it will not read them. I have to restart the computer each time I want to read a different card.

I am sure that there are other faults that I can not think of right now.
I am reluctant to go to someone else after my experience as, like everybody, I don't like being ripped off.
Any help you can give me would, as always be appreciated.
Running Windows Home with XP2. Still under warranty but the company went under.
T.I.A.,
GEORGE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

With known multiple problems...the first thing that I would try would be:

a. Removing anything nonessential (card readers, USB connections which are not keyboard/mouse) physically from the system.

b. Repair install of XP. This will not remove any programs or data files, but it will provide a new bunch of system files.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

MS, XP Repair Install Procedures - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/EN-US/

Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm Ignore the title, the repair procedure is the same for XP Pro and XP Home.

A repair install of XP (if successful) would also require reinstalling about 100 updates since SP2 came out...or simply installing SP3. I'm not out to convince anyone to install SP3 but...understanding what SP3 (a collection of critical updates since SP2 came out) and understanding that lack of SP3 contents makes a system more vulnerable to problems...dictated my installation of SP3 on both my desktops.

If problems still persisted after a repair install, I would do a clean install.

Additional reference material: Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2008 - 08:54 AM.

#3 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

Two repairs have been done. I was afraid that it was going to be a reinstall. So many programmes to reinstall after.
Thanks,
GEORGE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users