Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Connect To Internet?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LCE

LCE

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is where this post belongs or not? if not,please excuse me.
I have an older computer(still very reliable though)that I use for browsing the Internet. It is a Compaq with an AMD Athlon Processor, 1.30 GHz, 384 MB of Ram with Windows XP,Service PAck 2

I always kept it updated and all the spyware/virus software updated as well as run scans frequently and have not had any serious problems with it.
Well,I let the computer sit without going on line for maybe a month. Once I signed online the first thing I did was update all spyware/virus software and then run them.
The computer was used the next couple of days with no problems and then the next day it wouldn't sign on no matter what I tried.
It has been like this for over a week now :thumbsup:

I tried...
uninstalling AOL and reinstalling it
Tested the modem and it checks out fine
Uninstalling and reinstalling the modem
Plus much.much more...
I have tried everything that I can think of with no luck at all.

The modem dials and goes through all its usuall/regular sounds but will not connect.

Can anybody Please help me figure out what's going on?
Any help will be Greatly Appreciated
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:29 AM

Hi LCE, I was having connectivity issues not long ago and your symptoms sound alot like mine had been. Have you called your ISP? In order to rule out problems on your ISP's end, you should call them and talk to their support team. When this was happening to me, my ISP's support team determined that the problem was with my phone line. And in my case they were correct. If you find that there is no problem with your ISP, you can call your phone company and request a "Digital Voice Quality Test". By law the phone company must garruntee a certain connection speed and if you request the quality test, they are obligated to run the test at no charge to you. Ask your ISP for help. I'm not saying that this will solve your problem, but it can help to rule out certain things. Good luck!!

#3 LCE

LCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hi Tom Slick,
Thanks for the reply.
I have talked with my ISP and as usual they were no help at all. As for calling the phone company I will give that a try but I am pretty sure that isn't the problem as my other computer using the same phone line connects just fine.

Its just weird that out of the blue it stopped being able to connect.

Any other ideas?

I Appreciate the help
LCE

#4 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

If you have ZoneAlarm firewall on the system, please see this.
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#5 LCE

LCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:49 AM

Hi Axephilic,
Im using McAfee's firewall .

Thanks for the help

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:47 AM

Generally McAfee is anti virus, not a firewall.

#7 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:57 AM

Hi Tom Slick,
Thanks for the reply.
I have talked with my ISP and as usual they were no help at all. As for calling the phone company I will give that a try but I am pretty sure that isn't the problem as my other computer using the same phone line connects just fine.

Its just weird that out of the blue it stopped being able to connect.

Any other ideas?

I Appreciate the help
LCE

My suggestion to contact your ISP is probably the only advice that I'm qualified to give you. I'm a PC idiot for the most part. But since your symptoms were similar to mine, I thought maybe your ISP may be able to help. Sorry they didn't help you much. Of course they are not a PC repair shop so unless the problem is on their end, your not going to get alot of help from them. But it does rule out a problem on their end and since your other PC connects on the same line, I'd say the problem is on your PC. So you will be needing the advice of the good people here at BC. Sorry I couldn't be more help! Best of luck!!

#8 LCE

LCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

Hi frankp316,
Yes but it also has a firewall built in.

Hi Tom Slick,
Thanks,I'm at an end to what the problem is?
I have tried everything I can think of.
I hate to call it quits as I'm not one to give up easily but I think this time I'm beat.

Thanks for the help

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

Have you tried turning off your firewall temporarily?

#10 LCE

LCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:41 AM

Yes,I have tried that Frankp316
It had no effect at all

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:39 AM

Another possibility is problems with browser addons. Get rid of some addons and see if that helps.

#12 LCE

LCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:22 AM

Hi frankp316,
No browser add-ons as I just checked.
The Access numbers keep dialing and I get an AOL Error AC-1102(if I remember right) which is Computer wasn't able to connect to Internet error.
I have done everything plus some that is recommended for this error code but I don't believe its on my end as when I run the built in troubleshooter it says that there was no Answer when dialing the access number...?
So I got the access numbers from my other computer(which is able to connect to the net on the same line just fine)and used those on the problem computer and they to would not go through....the modem would dial the numbers the line would ring and go through its usual routine and then it would kick off with the above error code.

Still at a lose here as I have tried absolutely everything

Thanks for the Help I really Appreciate it
LCE

#13 booksbenji

booksbenji

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

:cool: :trumpet: :) :flowers:

I have no connect prob also. Acer, 6GB, ATT ISP DSL. Talked 2 ATT(DSL) good connect there, worked thru their problem solving net(from India :inlove: ) and no results. Putor is not working offline, ck all LAN networks, got nowhere :) all software update. Putor was not used 4 2 or 3 months (OCT 08). I am looking at a syst restore. Tks for any suggestions :thumbsup:

My Intro: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic1954-1650.html

Edited by booksbenji, 17 February 2009 - 03:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users