Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Ever Have Too Many Antivirus Measures?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 birdman2314

birdman2314

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

My question is: can you ever go overboard with virus protection measures? I know that having more than one reliable "realtime" virus protection program can prove to have problems, but what about "manual" virus programs. Used to just scan files.

I know it is sort of a dumb question. But, is there a certain point when too many programs become ineffective or time inefficient.

Thanks,

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:38 PM

If you want to scan just a file with a lot of AV's I recommend uploading it to VirusTotal or Jotti's. Give it a shot to see what it's like. :thumbsup:

I don't recommend install more than 1 AV on any system, no matter what. Most AV's will install themselves into the OS and make it possible for system instability. Installing more than one AV no matter what is risky and not recommended.

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#3 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:06 AM

My question is: can you ever go overboard with virus protection measures? I know that having more than one reliable "realtime" virus protection program can prove to have problems, but what about "manual" virus programs. Used to just scan files.

I know it is sort of a dumb question. But, is there a certain point when too many programs become ineffective or time inefficient.

Thanks,

Chris

Use only one AV. There are more spyware threats then virus ones. You will be fine with one GOOD AV.

#4 birdman2314

birdman2314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:27 AM

But having more than one anti-spyware program is alright correct? Like spybot S&D plus others?

-chris

#5 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

That is fine. :thumbsup:
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#6 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:45 PM

But having more than one anti-spyware program is alright correct? Like spybot S&D plus others?

-chris

As long as only one with a resident shield is running at the same time. The same rule applies. That is to keep resources, but also to prevent the shields from fighting each other over control of what comes and goes.

As far as the original question, I'd have to say that on demand AV scans are a GOOD idea, every now and then. It's nice to get a second opinion when you go to the doc, it's the same with a computer. The more info you have, the better able you are at making the right decision. So long as only one is residently active at any given time.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hi,
Only one Anti-virus program running and updated. You can have another access-on demand sanners such as Malwarebytes anti-malware.

Yes thats fine, you might want to add spywareblaster and superanti-spyware to that list. Make sure you only have one real-time protection that spybot provides with tea-timer. Like what was said before if using to scan just a file you can upload the file to Jotti/virustotal.

Hope that helps.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 birdman2314

birdman2314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:52 PM

I hate how the tea-timer pops up at startup and gives me a bunch of registry changes :/

-chris

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

I hate how the tea-timer pops up at startup and gives me a bunch of registry changes :/

I don't like it too but it gives real time protection, which is very important. You can always say allow and then at the bottom reply always remeber my answer. Soon it will stop asking you these regsitry changes. Real-time protection is some what like a firewall except there still different. You still need a firewall and a realtime protection enabled. If you don't like tea-timer than there is another real-time protection anti-spyware program called Sypwaretermanaitor. Its similar to tea-timer, they both have real-time protection so probably you won't like it too. Well at least your on the safe side. :thumbsup:
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#10 birdman2314

birdman2314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

Yea. I've had spybot S&D a long time, but had disabled the teatimer. I re-enabled it from the suggestions of Buckeye Sam and it just popped up a bunch of windows at the first startup after enabling it. I didn't get all the popups this time, so it is okay.

Thanks for all your help guys.!

-chris

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:45 AM

No Promblem, glad we could help you :thumbsup:

#12 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:03 PM

-chris

It's just doing it's job of alerting you to changes to the registry keys it monitors. If you don't like/want to know about those changes, the best advice is to turn TeaTimer off. Because it will ask you for every new change. But leaving TeaTimer off or any sort of resident that requires your input to allow or deny a change, leaves you open and vulnerable. So it's really a matter of balancing what you want and need in a program. If you want the extra protection, then please don't take the information it gives you lightly.

I don't like it too but it gives real time protection, which is very important. You can always say allow and then at the bottom reply always remeber my answer. Soon it will stop asking you these regsitry changes. Real-time protection is some what like a firewall except there still different. You still need a firewall and a realtime protection enabled. If you don't like tea-timer than there is another real-time protection anti-spyware program called Sypwaretermanaitor. Its similar to tea-timer, they both have real-time protection so probably you won't like it too. Well at least your on the safe side. :thumbsup:

If you say allow always, it will do just that. What good is a resident that allows always? The whole idea is to alert you to changes, if you tell it to allow all changes it sees to a key, then just how protected are you? Think about that for a while. And yes, in a way it is like a firewall, except it works from within the guts of your PC.

Bottom line, if you don't like the alerts, don't use it.

Edited by Galadriel, 16 July 2008 - 01:05 PM.

I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here

#13 birdman2314

birdman2314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

I'd rather be safe than sorry, even if it is a bit annoying sometime! :D

-chris

#14 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

That's what I thought... ;) I just wanted to clarify that point.

#15 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

Glad that you want to keep the tea-timer enabled :thumbsup:
Any other questions you want to ask or are you okay now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users