Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc-133 Ram

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:30 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 2300 and I'd love to upgrade the RAM but pc-133 ram is so expensive and rare. Any suggestions? I'd love for something about 40 dollars or less so a new motherboard would probably be out of the question. And I was looking for about 1 GB of ram. The other thing is that I think there is a 1gb limit on the motherboard and I have 694 mb already, so what can I do if i want to get a whole other 1 gb stick ? is that 1 gb limit strict or is it just a suggestion?

THanks it advance for replies.
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

You would be better off not investing any more in that computer. For the price of what you would spend on RAM to max it out you could purchase a computer a couple of years old which will run circles around the old machine.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

ok thanks
Posted Image

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

I got curious and did a quick look at Craig's List in my area, and I found used computer that are only a couple of years old going for anywhere from $100.00 to $300.00. 1GB of PC-133 at Crucial will cost you $113.99.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:10 AM

Thanks, I think a new computer may be the direction I am going to go in. Its rediculous how much they can charge for that RAM. I think it probably has something to do with dell and how they use rarer parts so they make money on upgrades. If you want to see something funny, see how much they charge for pc-133 on dell.com. I dont know if they changed the prices but the last time I looked they were rediculous. I hope you get a good laugh out of it :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:16 AM

I have to agree, Dell's prices are to say the least dear. I'm ashamed to say that I have a brother that went there and bought 2x 1GB of PC 2700. I couldn't believe he didn't at least check out Newegg.

The cost is high because they are getting harder to find, it's like trying to find parts for an older car.

#7 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:50 AM

Very true. Well, thanks for all your help.
Posted Image

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

PC-133 means ur computer uses SDRAM. It cannot use any other kind like DDR3. Your computer, I guess, has slots for SDRAM only. PC-133 standard RAM is available for 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB.

PC133, 1GB RAM for around US$30 here : http://www.pricewatch.com/system_memory/pc133_1gb.htm

Be careful first to read the technical details and see if the RAM advertised matches your computer's specifications.

I hope this information was useful :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 17 July 2008 - 07:04 PM.

#9 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

thanks for the reply but i do not have a laptop..i have a dell demension 2300 desktop..i dont know if this makes a difference or not
Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:51 PM

FWIW: Laptops take sodimm memory modules, while desktops take regular memory modules :thumbsup:.

One cannot be used in the other system.

Louis

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

thanks for the reply but i do not have a laptop..i have a dell demension 2300 desktop..i dont know if this makes a difference or not

Sorry, I have edited my reply. I didnt know you would read so fast :thumbsup:

Yes laptops need different modules. Thats why I mentioned you should match specifications.

#12 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

thanks ! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users