Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Ports Not Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tiredofmalware

tiredofmalware

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a Dell demension 8250 with Windows XP. IN the past I had some Virus problems and hijacked browser problems and some great people on this site helped me resolve the issues. Unfortunately, I have run into another problem where my computer is not recognizing the external HD or any USB adapters. The external mouse and keyboard work. I have 2 additional USB port in the rear of the computer and 1 in front. The one in front has bent pins so I am using the two in the rear of the CPU. When I plug my external HD into the back it beeps like it finds the new device but I will not show up under my computer. I tried and USb expander device (tried in both reamaing ports) and it will show the icon, then the icon will disspear then come back and so on. On occasion it will work for a day or so then stop working again. It seem as though the port may be bad however when I check the device manager it shows USB devices are working properly. I do have an error showing under other devices. It says PCI Slot 3 (PCI bus 2, device 9, function 1).

any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamieH

JamieH

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:01 AM

I had a similar problem with my USB ports, I think a USB port can only survive so many plug-ins and pull-outs before failing. I bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and that fixed everything.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:46 AM

Failed USB ports.

There is a common problem associated with USB ports where devices are frequently plugged and unplugged, or unplugged without being properly stopped. For some reason the Selective Suspend feature in the registry will turn off the power to the USB hub which results in making the USB hub/s inoperable.

One way to try to restore this is to open the Device Manager and right click on the device tree and select Scan for New Hardware to force a bus reset.

If this fails to work, there is another way to work around this and keep this from happening again in the future, and that is to disable the Selective Suspend feature. The Selective Suspend is not a critical feature and usually will not effect normal operations after it is disabled.

This procedure involves making a change in the registry, if mistakes are made following the instructions the registry can be damaged which can result in the computer becoming inoperable. For this reason, you should beck up your registry before making any changes.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

To disable Selective Suspend on all USB devices, do the following:

Open the Registry on the affected machine and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB.

Edit or create a DWORD value named DisableSelectiveSuspend and set it to a decimal value of 1.

Reboot the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users