Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Internal Dvd Rewriter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 acky

acky

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:57 PM

Hi i'm wanting to install a new internal dvd writer.I have.Acer sa80 running windows xp 2002 with service pack 3.
The installation instructions say to uninstall any cd burning software already installed. My question is.. does this include "Power DVD?" The installation CD also has "Power DVD" included.so should i uninstall my version of Power DVD or leave it alone? ALSO whats an "Electrostatic Sensitive Device"? I was told to take my clothes off before installation...!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:27 PM

I was told to take my clothes off before installation...!!! huh.gif

Must refrain myself :thumbsup: :trumpet: I'm going to remember that for future use, though.
Any time you go inside your computer, you should first ground yourself by touching the case to discharge any static electricity.
or wear a hat like mine :flowers:

Edited by garmanma, 14 July 2008 - 07:28 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:28 PM

LOL...I like that :thumbsup:, I've not heard that one before :flowers:.

OK...there is no reason at all to uninstall any burn software that I can think of...unless someone thinks that the driver for your burner is included in said software. It's not :trumpet:.

If you like that software and your new burner will work with it, no problem using it. I will add that the OEM software which accompanies a new burner or other optical drive...is sometimes geared to work only with that one drive and will not recognize another burner. That's to "encourage" users to buy retail versions of burn software. Once a user has a retail version, it should work with any drive installed.

Sooo...if I have an OEM version of software which came with a given drive...I don't expect it to work with another drive. If I have a retail version of that same software, I know that it will work with any drive I install.

Now...

This is important, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_sensitive_device

Louis

#4 acky

acky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

Cheers guys..