Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Desktop Icons and start menu items

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 i_need_help

i_need_help

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:40 PM

Hello,

I'm having the same problem, however, after following the directions, I'm unable to locate "run" at the start menu. Most of my desktop icons and items that are normally in the start menu are missing.

Please help.

Thank you,
Arlene

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

Hello i_need_help and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

Sorry about the delayed response. Because your post was in someone else's thread, no-one noticed it.

In order to assist you, we need more information.

What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista, etc.?

What security programs do you have installed? Please name them.

What specifically have you tried to resolve your problem?

Are you experiencing any issues besides the missing desktop and start menu items? If so, please describe them: pop-ups, redirects, etc. Please provide as much detail as possible.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 i_need_help

i_need_help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

Hello,

Thank you for moving my issue to it's own thread.

I've been experiencing popups and redirects as well and the computer is runnng is little slow.

So far, I've paid for my norton security subscription. It's scanning with a few issues found like the xpantivirus and something else I can't quite remember. A family member also ran the PC tools and so far the xpantivirus window does not open but I do still see it in the start menu. I can also see some of the programs that I originally had in the start menu such as "run".

I've followed the directions that someone had posted to remove the virus and was able to open the c:\programfiles\ but could not locate the xpantivirus folder. Consequently, I'm unable to proceed. I wll try to download "fixxpav.reg to the desktop as mentioned in the directions and go from there. I will let you know how it goes.

I believe this virus was downloaded or opened (whatever the correct the terminology is) by opening a movie file.

Thank you,
i_need_help

#4 i_need_help

i_need_help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:35 AM

Hello again,

Never mind, I'm not going to attempt to download th efixxpav.reg to the desktop as planned. I just re-visited the link to where I got these directions (fourm 111715 and the poster there said it didn't solve his problem. In addition, it said to back up your registry. I have basic computer skills and this is way too confusing. Any advice?

Thank you,
i_need_help

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:38 AM

http://malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?s...;hl=xpantivirus

I was wondering since the infection was so old that MBAM might not work but it would seem to be a better choice than the older link here at bleeping as infections tend to change with time

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=876163

please run MBAM and post a log in this thread
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users