Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Search Crashes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 triangleflyer

triangleflyer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:33 PM

Everytime I try to do a search using the built-in search "with the doggie", it crashes almost immediately usually before I can even put a term in the search block. I have given up using it as it almost never works but "sometimes" it does. I started using Agent Ransack to get around the problem but it annoys me that I have been forced to use another program. I would appreciate any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem. I am using XP home SP2. I have searched the internet and have seen other posts about this problem but no answers without having to pay money for the answer.

When it crashes you get this message:
Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. There is a box labeled “close.”
If you close it explorer restarts and the search window is closed until you re-initiate it. However, if you ignore the message and do not close it the search will perform normally. As soon as you hit the close box everything is gone. It does it in safe mode too. Since I originally made this post I have run all sorts of expermients to try and pin it down. For awhile, I couldn't get it to fail and then it started again. At different times, I have ran several virus checks etc. and nothing was found. (Avast, Spyware Doctor, Spybot, Windows Defender)

Attached File  windows_explorer_crash.jpg   13.85KB   22 downloads

Edited by triangleflyer, 15 July 2008 - 02:25 AM.

[font=Century Gothic][b][size=7]JRB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

You might find something Here

#3 triangleflyer

triangleflyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

Thanks but it does not have a blank screen. It looks like the normal search window but usually crashes before or soon after I enter any search words.
[font=Century Gothic][b][size=7]JRB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users