Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hung-up At Boot, No Hope.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spidey867

spidey867

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

I'm not really sure when this problem started happening, or why, but it seems my computer is dead.

Here's the problem: Whenever I boot, the system hangs up at the processor screen, before the Windows XP (Service Pack 2). I think it runs completely through its start-up processes, because sometimes I hear the Windows login audio, but I have no way of knowing for sure because I am only left to stare that the CoreCell screen. This happens about 85% of the time I try to boot up my computer. !0% of the time, I don't even make it to the processor screen, and it sounds like my DVD drive is spinning on and off. The remaining 5% of the time, it boots normally, and I fear shutting it down because I might never make it back onto my desktop.

The last time I did make it to my desktop, I defragmented my hard drive, as sort of a stress test. It passed, but I'm not really sure that I accomplished anything. It's gotten to the point where I just decided to back everything up with the hope of reformatting everything and installing Ubuntu until I can have my Windows XP disc mailed up to me, but my problems only worsen there. I can't boot from the Live CD, because it seems that my DVD drive doesn't want to read anything now.

Is there any way I can run a diagnostic to find out what is going on, without needing to make it past that initial processor screen?

I appreciate your help. If you'd like any additional information, I'll do the best I can to supply you with what I know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hi, :thumbsup:.

Just to clarify...your optical drive won't read anything (music, program, data, O/S bootable)?

Just a bad idea...but do you have access to another system where you can switch components out for a few minutes of testing?

System manufacturer and model?

When did the problems begin (approximate timeframe)?

Louis

#3 spidey867

spidey867
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, as far as I can tell, nothing I put into the optical drive works, although I haven't been able to reach my desktop in order to put in some music to see if that would work. I can rule out O/S bootables, that's the only thing I've tried. The last time I was on my desktop, I checked the Device Manager, and it said the DVD drive was working properly. I really don't think it is though.

Unfortunately, the problem PC is the desktop and the only other system I have is a laptop. I purchased all of the components myself and my neighbor put it together for me. I'd like to say that it started having problems a month or so ago at the most, but they seem more persistent now, as I used to be able to actually make it to my desktop more frequently when the problem first started happening.

#4 spidey867

spidey867
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

So, am I out of luck?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

I can't see any way out of this without spending a bit of cash. I'd suggest getting a cheap DVD drive from a place where you can return it if necessary - then trying that in your system. If it works, then we're on our way to a fix. If it doesn't work, then there's probably more serious issues than just a bad DVD drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

I would also remove the hard drive from the desktop...slave it via USB enclosure to a known good system and run chkdsk /r and defrag on it. May not do much good, but it's better than doing nothing, IMO.

About the only other consideration I would venture would be to download a hard drive diagnostic and run it from the known good system on the troubled system hard drive. Generally, I don't do a disk diagnostic unless chkdsk /r cannot function properly or the drive exhibits problems which I know are beyond any chkdsk attempt. This would give a much better indication of the drive's status than...any defrag operation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users