Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*um lil help please*

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 my.sparkle

my.sparkle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:18 AM

Hi, my computer is driving me up the wall at the moment, any form of USB device being added to my computer is being read as unrecognised. There are only 2 ports on the computer and the only device recognised is the broadband modem. Whenever a device is plugged in a message is displayed saying that Windows cannot recognise USB device. This is happening on both devices with Plug and Play and devices in which have had 2 have previous drivers installed for them. However it is mainly devices with plug and play that i am concerned with i.e my USB flash drive or MP3 Player. Device Manager displays that there is no problems with my root hub however all unknown devices are displyed to have no drivers installed including plug and play. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this problem?

Greatly appreciated!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:50 PM

Do you have Service pack1 or 2 installed on your computer?

#3 my.sparkle

my.sparkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:47 PM

I have Service Pack 2 recently installed and all latest Windows updates as seen on http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

Have you tried powering off the computer? Not rebooting, but shutting it down, then powering it back on. The only way to reset a USB port built onto your motherboard is to remove power from it, in other words, turn it off. Let's try the simple stuff first. Grinler is pretty sharp around here, so I value his opinions, but I am not sure where he's headed with what service pack you are on. Let us know how you make out.

#5 my.sparkle

my.sparkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:49 AM

Well QQQQ if its been tried once its been tried a million times! The devices are fully functionable on other peoples computers as well so they're not exactly faulty or anything. The USB ports do recognise the USB printer and the USB modem however but nothing else seems to be recognised. I have also tried the ports with these devices disconnected and connected in every possible way. I wouldn't mind but the devices did use to work on the computer and I can't see any change in configuration that would stop them from working. It seemed to have happened since we got a multiple USB 2.0 Hub for the computer seeing as we only had 2 ports on the back to start with. The hub worked for about a week but then stopped working with the devices plugged into it and now nothing works at all.

Sorry if i've seemed to waffle there but i thought I'd give a clearer view of the situation and whatever methods i've tried. The troubleshooter built into Windows XP is useless I swear!

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:35 AM

Maybe your USB hub went defective and trashed your ports?
Perhaps now is the time to look at a PCI slot USB expansion card?

What does device manager say about your USB root hub and other USB devices?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:23 AM

I have had similar problems with USB hubs also. I have had better luck with internal USB cards, they have given me way less problems. Rimmer's suggestion is one that I would follow also, get an internal USB card. Good luck.

#8 my.sparkle

my.sparkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

Ok i'l look into a USB card, however device manager has said that all ports are working correctly except that of an unknown device in which it says drivers aren't installed correctly, this is quite strange since the products are plug and play. I have however had luck in getting my external floppy drive and camera to work, it is now just my MP3 player, my mulitple hub and my USB flash drive that I need to get working. I have managed this through updates from microsoft. To be on the safe side I have checked these at a friend's computer and they are in full functionality.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:10 PM

Try removing the 'unknown device' in device manager. Power off and remove all USB devices and power on again. Any error messages or new devices found? Plug in your USB gear one by one - does Windows detect them all, some or none?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 my.sparkle

my.sparkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:42 AM

Hi, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've now tried Rimmers idea but the only thing that it is detecting is still the broadband modem, the printer and the floppy drive are now no longer detected at all. There is no problen with the performance of the modem however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users