Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Just Me Or Is Software Piracy Getting Really Bad?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

I walked into my local Wal-Mart today inquiring about copies of Crysis as I was planning to add them into my little lan party this coming weekend.

Some other guy came up and was looking at a copy of Halo 2 and asked if I knew if it was any good on PC. I gave him my opinion ( I liked it ) Then, he looked at the box of Crysis I was holding in my hands. He told me to go to X website to download a free copy of it.

( I am not going to disclose the website in this forum I do not condone of any illegal computing activities. That and I would be walking on thin ice with BC. )

Sure enough I remembered it, I fired up all my firewalls and anti-viruses as I did not know if this was just a "virus site" that he was messing me with.

Scrolled down and their it is, thousands and thousands of torrents and pirated downloads. Also saw the Crysis I was looking at. Shook my head, got onto network administrator account, and blocked the site so no one could access it. ( I DON'T WANT ANY OF THAT ON MY NETWORK!)

Pretty sad if you ask me.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 14 July 2008 - 03:24 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Avysis

Avysis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

It's true. I've heard of many sites of that sorts. Most of them don't even use torrents, they host them on their host's own server. Most hosts I know of don't even allow such.
Btw, what are you comp's specs? Just asking cause I want to know the average fps on whichever type of comp.

Edited by Avysis, 14 July 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#3 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:47 PM

There are quite a few torrent sites out there and piracy is getting really bad. There are A LOT of users using P2P programs and torrents to download software illegally all of the time.
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

It's true. I've heard of many sites of that sorts. Most of them don't even use torrents, they host them on their host's own server. Most hosts I know of don't even allow such.
Btw, what are you comp's specs? Just asking cause I want to know the average fps on whichever type of comp.

The computers are pretty low too mild. It is:

Windows Vista Ultimate-64bit
2GB DDR2 mem
Saphire RADEON HD 2600 XT 512MB GDDR3
AMD Duo-Core Brisbane 4800+ 2.5GHz (OCed to 3.0)

For Halo 2 I'm getting around 30-45 FPS not too bad everything on high

On the Crysis demo I wasn't doing too great, On maxed 10-14 fps

:S I know I need to upgrade theese comppys.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:25 AM

Hmm.... I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that about 90 percent of those are renamed spyware/malware installers. :thumbsup:

Any takers?

Some people never learn.

JB
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

#6 Avysis

Avysis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

Hmm.... I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that about 90 percent of those are renamed spyware/malware installers. :thumbsup:

Any takers?

Some people never learn.

JB

I think it will be lower, more around 35%.

Commonly this torrents/files are over a gigabyte of space. I doubt they fit over a gigabyte of viruses into a folder.

#7 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:46 PM

Commonly this torrents/files are over a gigabyte of space. I doubt they fit over a gigabyte of viruses into a folder.

This comment is illogical.

Anyone who wishes not to get infected, or be thought of as a thief, wether they are downloading legit stuff or not, should think that 100% of the downloads are infected.

Edited by KingOfIdiocy, 19 July 2008 - 10:47 PM.

#8 Avysis

Avysis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

This comment is illogical.

Anyone who wishes not to get infected, or be thought of as a thief, wether they are downloading legit stuff or not, should think that 100% of the downloads are infected.

This isn't debate, but it's really common sense. Most sites tell you how big their files are. And especially when it's over a gigabyte, chances are it wouldn't be viruses. Whether or not you use warez.

That's my opinion atleast. If you disagree, your entitled to that.

Edited by Avysis, 20 July 2008 - 10:05 AM.

#9 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

And especially when it's over a gigabyte, chances are it wouldn't be viruses.

If it's a software file that's over a gigabyte, when it's installed, it usually becomes many smaller files.

Even if the original install doesn't infect, one of these smaller files, especially the executable, may be infected.

So, basically, your argument about file size as regards software anyway, doesn't hold water.

You are of course, as you pointed out to me, entitled to your opinion.

Edited by KingOfIdiocy, 20 July 2008 - 11:52 AM.

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

Saying most of these things give you viruses is stereotyping. How would you know if you've never done it? I'll admit to have torrenting games/programs before, and never once got a virus (at least one I knew about). Of course this is wrong, and I'm trying now not to do it anymore. Still, you can show me all the statistics you want, it's not true. You just need to be careful, and safe about what websites you use.

I remember reading an official report saying the gaming industry is still doing really well. Even though how many games are bought is down, the amount of money spent on gaming is going up. People need to look at subscription fee's for games such as World of Warcraft, and other mmorpg's that all charge a monthly fee. There is no way to cheat that price, unless of course you're stealing someones credit card number, or game cards from a store. I think companies are making games now with online in mind more. It's much harder, if not impossible, to play most online games without paying.

Programs and media on the other hand is a different story though.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I do believe piracy is becoming a huge problem, even though I haven't done my share in really trying to fix it. Sorry if I have broken the rules, but I'd like to share my opinion.

Edited by Sterling14, 20 July 2008 - 01:18 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#11 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:28 PM

Saying most of these things give you viruses is stereotyping.

Some stereotypes become that because there is a great deal of truth in them.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

Another thread that turned stupid......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users