Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel(r) Pro/1000 Gt Desktop Adapter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HJT Noob

HJT Noob

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

I posted a question about this in overclock.net but I didn't get any solutions, so I'm now asking here.

I've been having gradually increasing connection problems when I play this game Age of Empires III, where I disconnect during a game even though I am still perfectly connected to the internet. I haven't changed any router settings while these problems have increased, in fact most of my settings are on default. I did just recently try hard resetting my router, but this didn't help.

However, while browsing through my network connections to see if there were any problems, I noticed I have a disconnected Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter on my computer. My computer is almost a year old and I do remember paying a little money for something like this, that's suppose to improve your internet speed when gaming or something??

Does anybody know what this thing is? Should I make use of it? My two main connected devices appear to be NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, and a 1394 Net Adapter. I have no idea about what these things actually are, nor any idea how network adapters work. Any info would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

I haven't played Age of Empires so won't comment about your connection problems there, save to say that most online games experience some sort of lag, if you are playing at a busy time of day. Also giving you machine a freshen up by making sure you have plenty of disk space available and that there isn't any un-needed programs running while you play is always a good idea. While you may have more than the minimum spec to install the software through various updates and such having plenty above minimum spec is usually recommended.

As for you Network adapters, the 1394 Net Adapter is a firewire adapter, probably un-used so ignore it. The Nvidia card might be built in to your motherboard. Have you physically installed a Network card into your machine?

That would be the PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter. If you have open the case and put that in then it might be a simple case of moving your ethernet cable from the built in network port to the card network port at the back of your machine.

Some of the Nvidia cards will be limited to connecting to the network at 100Mbps where as your Intel PRO looks like a gigabit card which could cinnect to the network faster if you have a network that can support those speeds.

Do you have a Gigabit Switch/Router that you use to connect to the internet?

Although you probably aren't using the gigabit card it is unlikely that using it will solve your disconnecting problem as you connection is only as fast as the slowest link.

You connect to the router at approx 100M - Router connects to the internet at approx 2-20M depending on your broadband package and how many others connect at the same time in your local area, so your network card is unlikely to increase the speed of your internet connection.

#3 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

I know that the card is installed in the computer.

I'm a little confused though. Would there be any benefit at all to hooking this adapter up as well? Would I only have the option of using one of these? How can I differentiate which plug I would need to hook my cable into?

I'm not really even sure what my internet connection speed is, nor what a Gigabit Switch/Router is. I am using optimum cable, something pretty standard. On online bandwidth tests, I'm getting around 3mbs.

Even if this did not improve my connection speed, would it at least be able to effect my internet stability? I find my internet speed pretty fast, as I sometimes get up to 1 mps download speeds, and my load time to websites is usually less than a couple of seconds. I'm not exactly worried about this as much as I am about this strange disconnections where my internet does not seem to entirely disconnect.

Thanks for the response. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users