Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Error Reading Drive C

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaBiz

DaBiz

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hi guys,
We have a third computer in our house that is quite old, and that my parents basically just use for word processing. This computer runs Windows98 and is no longer is able to start up. When it is starting up, it starts like normal, and the cloudy blue Windows 98 logo come up for about 30seconds, then a dos screen comes up with a message reading "data error reading drive c" with options to retry, ignore, or fail.
Like I say, this computer is quite old (probably about 12 years old). If I could get it up and working again that would be great, but if there is any way to recover files, my parents would be quite pleased with that as well.

If you need any more information about the computer, please let me know, and I'll be happy to provide it.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:29 PM

Hi, since it is Windows 98, try running ScanDisk on it (known in NT operating systems as chkdsk).

If you have a bootdisk (floppy) for the system you can use that. If you don't have a bootdisk, you can download one here. Simply insert a blank floppy and run the program. :thumbsup:

Now, boot from the floppy disk and when you get a command prompt, type in "scandisk" (without quotes) and press Enter.

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:58 AM

Hi,

When that error comes up, in most cases, it means hard disk has some problem(bad sectors). You can try these steps :

1. Remove power cord, open the case of your PC, detach the IDE cable of your hard disk and reconnect it. See if it solves the problem.

2. Remove hard disk from the computer, attach it on spare IDE cable in one of ur other computers(u have 3 right) as primary slave drive. See jumper setting on the connector side of drive to make sure it would be slave. Start this computer and do scandisk in windows on this drive. You can also copy important data as backup.

If you dont want to follow step 2, then follow step 3.

3. Boot your PC in MS-DOS using a bootable floppy. Try running scandisk by giving command scandisk/all.

4. If scandisk halts in middle or does not solve ur problem. Try running NDD(norton disk doctor). NDD is available on public FTP servers here : ftp://ftp.atnet.ru/pub/OS/msdos/utils/nu/ndd.exe. Download and copy it on ur floppy disk.

Scandisk if finds any bad area, will mark the whole sector as bad. You wont be able to access it. Data in bad sectors is gone. From the look of it, it appears some important Windoews file is on such damaged sectors. So you may have to format had disk and re-install the Windows.

I hope you find this information helpful. :thumbsup:

#4 DaBiz

DaBiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:24 AM

Alright guys,
Thanks for the tips. I haven't tried any yet because I was always told to wait for one of the BC experts, but if none post in the next few days, I'll give your ideas a shot.

Thanks!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

There is no need to wait for an "expert" The 2 suggestions given were on the mark. The one observation and question I do have is, was this computer in use recently or just sitting around? Given the age of the computer, it might be beneficial to change the CMOS battery on the motherboard, if possible.
I say if possible, because a computer that old might have the battery soldered in place. If it isn't it will be a round, silver coin-sized watch-type battery. You can purchase it at any drug store by the watch batteries
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 DaBiz

DaBiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

Hey guys,

I know it's been a long time, but I finally got a chance to work on that old comp. I tried the link to download the boot disk, but the file was no longer there. Is there a link to an active file?

Also, I tried running a scandisk, and it got stuck at about 2%, and the hard drive just kept clicking (probably not a good thing).

Anyone have any recommendations??? I really don't care if I get that comp up and running again. It would be nice, but all I really want is to recover my old files (especially pics) from that computer. What's the best way to go about doing this???

Thanks,
Jon

Also, thanks to those who posted before :thumbsup:

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

WOW!
This is a really old thread resurected!

DaBiz I hate to tell you this, but if the hard drive is making a rythmic clicking noise, like a clock, it has failed.
You can replace the drive relatively cheaply if you ant to get the system running again.

The best way for data recovery is backup, backup, backup.
It is probably too late now.

Edited by Eyesee, 05 January 2009 - 09:00 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

I know it's been a long time, but I finally got a chance to work on that old comp. I tried the link to download the boot disk, but the file was no longer there. Is there a link to an active file?

Also, I tried running a scandisk, and it got stuck at about 2%, and the hard drive just kept clicking (probably not a good thing).

Anyone have any recommendations??? I really don't care if I get that comp up and running again. It would be nice, but all I really want is to recover my old files (especially pics) from that computer. What's the best way to go about doing this???

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon.

Where have you tried to get a boot disk from?

http://www.bootdisk.com

If the drive keeps clicking as you scandisk then as you say it doesn't look good. You haven't really said which operating system has been on the computer before. Download a Win ME bootdisk its supposed to be better than the others and will work on any computer. You will need to make the boot disk on a usable computer with a floppy drive. If you only want to recover you old files then if its Win 9x / ME you could do this in DOS to floppy disks thats if you have a floppy drive. If its another operating system then you are stuffed.

What happens when the computer starts up, what errors do you get?

I can't remember if Format.com is on the bootdisk but the other thing to try is after it boots up from the floppy and you have saved all your files you could format the drive and that will tell you if there are any bad sectors on the drive. To get the computer to bootup from the floppy disk you may need to get into the BIOS/CMOS to change the boot sequence so it tries to read the floppy disk first.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users