Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please, Need Help With My Vaio Desktop.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MJ4

MJ4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

:thumbsup: Hi BC Community! About a week ago, my computer completely froze while running a weekly full system scan with my Norton Internet Security '07 (which had just expired a few weeks before). I ended up restarting my computer from the power button, and after that, it just kept on restarting and restarting by itself, but it never got passed the Windows XP logo. I decided to leave it off for a day or something, I turn it back on just fine (even though it took a long while), then some error messages pop up, of course. One of them was something about the system recovering from a serious error, most of the others were about Norton, and one that still pops up when I turn my computer on is: SQL Server could not find the specified named instance (VAIO_VEDB)-please specify the name of an existing instance on the invocation of sqlservr.exe. Also, my desktop has no recycle bin, I can't drag and drop anything, when I click on start menu and go to all programs, most of it is missing. Even when I try to use my printer, there is an error message, but it still works. I can't even see my internet connection icon like I used to. At the time, I had Internet Explorer 7, Windows SP3, Norton, and couldn't get on the internet. Luckily, I had the Apple Safari Browser and was able to get on the internet with that, so I went to the Norton website thinking that was the problem, and I found some info. about Windows SP3 and Norton issues with a tool that is called Fixccs.exe that adds registry keys in many locations, but is unable to remove them when you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 or VistaSP1. I fix that, then remove the Win.SP3, IE7 (just in case), and it was working fine. I decided to purchase a new Norton Software at a local store and completely remove the old version. I restart, same SQL Server message pops up, run a scan with the Norton, and it seems to be ok. I do this a few times, and until this day, I still receive the SQL Server message. Even though I can connect to the internet, my computer still has the problems I mentioned before about the recycle bin and stuff. PLEASE! If there is anyone that could help me, I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users