Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Pptp Vpn Won't Connect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 forrestmage

forrestmage

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

Windows SBS 2003 & Windows XP SP2
When I try connecting one of my vpn's, it times out with 721 (no response) error.
Using Wireshark both on the client and the server, I can see the connection start, (start-connection-control-request and reply)
and the call starts (outgoing-call-request and reply), then the client sends a set-link-info packet, the server receives it, but the server never sends a reply set-link-info-packet, so the client times it out and sends the call-clear-request packet.

There are 8 active VPN'son the server of a possible 17 ports, I tried authenticating as different users with the same result.

There are 2 people connecting vpn's from the same client IP but disconnecting the other doesn't help.

Thoughts? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 forrestmage

forrestmage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

Apparently, the device doing NAT (Actiontec DSL modem) suddenly decided it couldn't handle both PPTP vpn's from and to the same IP's. By pointing one computer at an alias IP, it works fine. I had 2 simultaneous vpn's running previously, but the computers were set with static routable IP's. Perhaps it's the server that got confused, not the NAT?

So the problem is rectified, but I still don't quite understand why it didn't work. I've used two vpns from the same location going to the same location before- just through a better router I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users