Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Slow Again

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

I have 256RAM, XP Pro, Intel III/700, more than enough space in hard disks. The only movements I have done is to be installing and uninstalling different antiviruses to check them. MY PC is clean and NOD32 3 is installed. Currently, suddenly it started being too much slow. I would accept a RAM trouble if my PC hadn't behave pretty well until a relatively short while. I would wish to give the example that while I am talking through Skype I cannot even open the video camera because it stops. Obviously, it's the same for any oher application. I am waiting the generous arriving of more RAm from most appreciated hamluis this week, but I seriously doubt it's necessary a RAM trouble alone, Many thanks and friendly greetings.
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

Sounds like RAM to me, Juan :thumbsup:.

A minimal amount of RAM basically equates to limited performance at any time...more RAM allows the system to do more things at a single time and/or to do those things a mite better.

What you could try to do is...adjust the virtual memory settings.

First thing...Start/My Computer/right-click Properties/Advanced tab...click Settings button in the Performance section of tab. Click Advanced tab within Performance tab.

What number is reflected in the Virtual Memory area?

Two other things you can do: run chkdsk, following the directions for doing so in the Graphical Version...after chkdsk completes, run defrag.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Put checks in the options to Scan and to Recover.

Louis

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

Dear hamluis. The virtual number is 379MB. I will perform the other tasks tomorrow, because currently I am in a hurry. I hope I will get a higher RAM possibility this week... Many thanks and friendly greetings

#4 Maincat

Maincat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

HI,

I would also check for spyware. Spybot, Adaware and Superantispyware would be my choices. Download them and scan.
Also, get CCleaner and run it. You may have a load of junk on your system that you can do without.

Edited by Maincat, 14 July 2008 - 01:47 PM.

Steve

MCP, MCDST, A+ Network+

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

Also, get CCleaner and run it. You may have a load of junk on your system that you can do without.

That will speed up your PC a bit, but its mostly RAM. 256MB of Ram is okay but you shouldn't have lots of programs running at once or services that start when your computer starts. You can disable that using Msconfig, also you can clear up some other junk by going to Start>Run>cleanmgr
Cleanmgr will clear up the useless things. I would check every box even if it clears nothing. cleanmgr freed 15GB of space for me!!Most of the space that was cleared was compressing the old files.
I also suggust defragging your computer every 2 weeks or so...Speaking of which I forgot to defragg for almost more than 2 months...I would suggust using something else rather than the disk defragmenter provided. I use AusLogics Disk Defrag and I think its great.

Hope that helps and good luck :thumbsup:
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:17 PM

Fine... Now, is it well? What must I do? Many thanks

Dear hamluis. The virtual number is 379MB. I will perform the other tasks tomorrow, because currently I am in a hurry. I hope I will get a higher RAM possibility this week... Many thanks and friendly greetings

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:36 AM

For the amount of RAM you have installed, 379 is a good number for virtual memory.

You should be receiving the RAM modules I mailed shortly, this is the 8th day after mailing.

In the meantime...did you run the chkdsk as suggested...and the defrag?

Louis

Edit: I just read your confirmation that you have the additional RAM and system runs better. Still recommend doing the chkdsk and the defrag :thumbsup:. If you have any additional problems, you know where to post :flowers:.

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2008 - 03:30 PM.

#8 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:20 AM

I have installed my new RAM of 1 G and many things have improved, but the Pc doesn't. Starting is extremely slow, some application as Outlook 2003 takes a lot of time to open. I have cleaned the Pc through all the applications suggested by friends here in BC. To update AVG, for example, took a long while. Now, that I have a larger RAM should I have to make some settings? I fell that something else is going bad in my PC. Many thanks and greetings specially to the most kind and generous hamluis who sent me the new old memories.

Fine... Now, is it well? What must I do? Many thanks

Edited by merellogalasso, 16 July 2008 - 12:22 AM.

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hi,
I suggust disabling some startup items that run at startup because your startup is extremly slow. My startup was alyways slow until I disabled almost 90% of my programs that are unneccasry. If you want to find out if a program is unnecssary just such up the programs at BC's startup list. To disable/enable programs go to Start>Run>Msconfig
Go to the startup tab and search up each one at BC's startup list if something is unnecssary untick it and after your done apply then ok and restart your computer. I still suggust you defrag your computer and follow hamluis suggustion.
Now that you have 1GB of Ram I suggust changing the virtual memory to a bit higher. I have 1GB of Ram and my virtual memory is set to 1358MB. So approximatly 1.3- 1.5 times your RAM.
If you want some information on RAM and virtual memory in Xp take a read here: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#10 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

I performed everything. I am currently running the autostat adviced by Grinler but I do not know if I am a little stupid or something like that but I cannot link the "characters" of utility that Grinler names, with the infinite files that appear in the application. If you or Grinler would be so kind to explain me where should I look for those qualifications and then, proceed to delete the files that I do not want to automatically start. With respect to the virtual memory I will set it as other kind friend has adviced me to do. Many thanks agin and friendly greetings

For the amount of RAM you have installed, 379 is a good number for virtual memory.

You should be receiving the RAM modules I mailed shortly, this is the 8th day after mailing.

In the meantime...did you run the chkdsk as suggested...and the defrag?

Louis

Edit: I just read your confirmation that you have the additional RAM and system runs better. Still recommend doing the chkdsk and the defrag :thumbsup:. If you have any additional problems, you know where to post :flowers:.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

Well, if you are using Outlook (any version), then you probably also have MS Office installed...which routinely will result in a slow boot and RAM resources being utilized unnecessarily.

Do you have any version of MS Office installed? If so, is it the entire suite? If so, do you use each of programs in the suite?

Louis

#12 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:42 AM

Thanks a lot. Please, be so kind to tell me which of the two (max and min) should be 1358, because I moved the min and doubled the max, as suggested by the system, and the PC was about to not starting. I am trying to understand the "BC's startup list" together with the "autorun" application. I do not understand (sorry...) where are the qualificating characters that appears in the kind explanation of other BC forum friend, in order to know what do I delete and what not.

I am still having troubles with permanent "sand clocks and flashlights" at opening almost everything. It's unnecessary to insist that I have cleaned and defragged.

Many thanks and greetings

Hi,
I suggust disabling some startup items that run at startup because your startup is extremly slow. My startup was alyways slow until I disabled almost 90% of my programs that are unneccasry. If you want to find out if a program is unnecssary just such up the programs at BC's startup list. To disable/enable programs go to Start>Run>Msconfig
Go to the startup tab and search up each one at BC's startup list if something is unnecssary untick it and after your done apply then ok and restart your computer. I still suggust you defrag your computer and follow hamluis suggustion.
Now that you have 1GB of Ram I suggust changing the virtual memory to a bit higher. I have 1GB of Ram and my virtual memory is set to 1358MB. So approximatly 1.3- 1.5 times your RAM.
If you want some information on RAM and virtual memory in Xp take a read here: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

If you are going to use a minimum/maximum setting for virtual memory, I think both should be the same.

Personally, I just think it's better to let XP manage the settings automatically...but that's just an opinion I don't necessarily share with others. Excerpts below are from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417 :

To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.

For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use much memory.

Louis

#14 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Well, I shared with you the memory settings. But I still keep having troubles with different "speeds". For example, at screen opening, the task bar appears, during a few seconds, with blue bars over the icons place; XP starting itself is extremely slow and "sounding". The run files, that couldn't get really reduced through startup steps, takes a lot of time in getting filled. There are troubles also opening the windows explorer, where the famous flashlight appears everytime. If I am writing, as now, and a message is arriving to the Outlook, characters stop to appear inmediately. As for the well known slow Mozilla, well that's a real joke. As already browsing, there are no particular speed troubles with simultaneous opened different pages. I am in a state of perplexity. The real funny issue is that I didn't have these troubles a while ago, as for example, that one of the slow screen filling. The only important thing I have done was just to open a little more space for C moving a little the partition. In any case, sorry and many thanks and greetings.

If you are going to use a minimum/maximum setting for virtual memory, I think both should be the same.

Personally, I just think it's better to let XP manage the settings automatically...but that's just an opinion I don't necessarily share with others. Excerpts below are from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417 :

To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.

For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use much memory.

Louis

#15 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:39 PM

I have installed just Outlook 2003 and Word.With respect to the first it keeps me tired because of its multiple peculiarities: doesn't start if folders are not of its taste; takes a lot for starting itself, by spots; today gave me troubles with the going folder, because I AVG scanned the Pc and deleted cookies. Sincerely, at my 71 I am about to get crazy. Now, in this second, the sand clock is appearing together with stopping writing. Why? Nobody knows. Do you believe that my partition moving, for giving more space to C, could have done all this disaster? Greetings and many thanks.

Well, if you are using Outlook (any version), then you probably also have MS Office installed...which routinely will result in a slow boot and RAM resources being utilized unnecessarily.

Do you have any version of MS Office installed? If so, is it the entire suite? If so, do you use each of programs in the suite?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users