Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic V Dynamic Disk - Backup Image Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PeterJ

PeterJ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:46 AM

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice or suggestions.

My PC has 2 hard drives.

Drive 1 is a Basic Disk with just one Primary Partition, file system NTFS. Operating system Windows 2000, all other software, and all my data etc are on this disk.

Drive 2 is a Dynamic Disk with 2 Simple Volumes, file system NTFS. I use this disk only to store my backups, i.e. I backup from Basic Disk 1 to Dynamic disk 2.

I use Acronis True Image 8.0. I can make an image backup of my entire basic disk 1 and store it on my dynamic disk 2. This works perfectly.

Now my question/problem. I have made a boot recovery CD using Acronis True Image 8.0. If I insert this boot recovery CD into the CD ROM drive on starting my PC it will locate the basic disk 1, the floppy drive, the CD ROM drive and the DVD drive, BUT it will NOT locate/find the dynamic disk 2. Thus if I have a problem with the basic disk 1, which I had recently, I cannot restore from the dynamic disk 2 using the Acronis True Image boot recovcery CD.

I suspect that Acronis True Image 8.0 does not support/recognize dynamic disks. If this is correct then it appears that I have two possibilities. Either I can convert the dynamic disk back to a basic disk, or I can purchase a new version of Acronis True Image (or some other Imaging software) which recognizes dynamic disks, or is there any suitable imaging software available free?

If possible I would prefer not to have to purchase new software.

If I convert the dynamic disk 2 to a basic disk, I know that I have first to backup/remove the data that I have on the dynamic disk and delete the two volumes. Then I should be able to convert to a basic disk using Windows 2000 disk management.

BUT, is there anything else that I need to do? Do I need to reformat the disk 2? Do I need to set the file system for disk 2 to NTFS again? Do I need to put boot information on the disk 2? Do I need to make a primary partion on the disk 2? And is there any need to put the Windows 2000 operating system on disk 2 (it is installed on disk 1)?

Or is it sufficient just to convert disk 2 from dynamic to basic and then move the data back again onto the now basic disk 2.

As you will realize, this is new territory for me and I would appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Thanks

PeterJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

The way I understand it Acronis Tru Image won't work. You need the Server edition
http://affiliate.acronis.com/promo/ATIS/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 PeterJ

PeterJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

Thanks Garmanma

Thanks for your help. But Acronis True Image Server Version costs $699. Thus I am looking for another solution. I suspect that I could continue to use my current Acronis True Image 8.0 if I would change the dynamic disk 2 to a basic disk.

The problem is that I am not 100% sure how to do thisd and what the implications are.

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards

PeterJ

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=110511

http://mypkb.wordpress.com/2007/03/28/how-...to-basic-disks/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044

Edited by garmanma, 14 July 2008 - 06:30 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

I have Acronis True Image Echo Workstation and it does recognise Dynamic Disks.

Note that Server editons won't run on non server os's and vice versa.

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/

It's a little more money than the home version though...

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users