Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help With Possible Ms04-028 Jpeg Removal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tinksgran

tinksgran

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:51 AM

Hi,

First, thank you all for the time you put into helping people like myself! I don't have a clue how to get past the basics of a computer. Now to get to my problem. I have a two month old Gateway notebook, and running Windows Vista Home Premium. My virus scan is Avast 4.8 free version and Windows Defender running in the background. I keep getting a pop up warning when trying to click between picture files and out of my pic. file. The warning saying that Malware has been detected:MS04-028 JPEG {Expl} Summer2008. Then it ask if I want to delete, repair or move this file. I have tried to move it into the Avast chest where I thought it would be kept and locked safe, but I still get the same message. As soon as I get these messages, I leave the file and run a scan, the scan never picks up anything. So then I go in and schedule a bootscan and restart right then and go through the very long bootscan. Again, I get a clean bill of health on my notebook. I am confused, but very scared because I have my parents last pictures in here now and they mean alot to me not to mention the pc is still new. Can someone please help me? I just don't know what I am doing. I don't know what to shut down and leave on to do what! I really admire the knowledge it takes to do this!

Thanks so much in advance,

tinksgran

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

Hi,

I recommend you to copy the important pictures/files to a CD/USB-stick. So they can't be lost.

After that, do this:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#3 tinksgran

tinksgran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Good Morning Superbird,

Thank you for your help! I haven't gone in and taken this action yet. I have a couple more questions first. Really just one. Would I disable my other antivirus protection before doing this? I am sure this program may tell me, But in case I miss it, I would ask. I am going to get the disk now then come back and run this program. I will then let you know the results. Thank you again. It is so very kind that people like you take the time to help people like me. Talk to you very soon.

Thanks,

tinksgran

#4 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

No it is not needed to disable you protection. Only when your antivirus disables MBAM, you should do that. :thumbsup:

#5 tinksgran

tinksgran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:12 AM

Hi superbird,

I don't know if this is good news or bad. I followed all the steps and here is the report. It found nothing. I am really confused now. Here is the log and thanks for the help, just, what is my next step if any?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.20
Database version: 951
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

12:20:03 AM 7/15/2008
mbam-log-7-15-2008 (00-20-03).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 34511
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 12 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I feel much better but still not just 100% because Not sure what keeps causing the alarm and message. I have also noticed that if I right click on the screen for any reason, whatever tab I click on will remain on the screen in a transparent tab with the word still in it, say "back" for instance. I had to wait until it cooled off outdoors to do this because when I got in from getting the usb stick, my central unit had gone out. So I apologize for being so late. Nope it isn't a MAYTAG, the repair man wouldn't run out on the spur of the moment!

Thanks again,
tinksgran

#6 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:12 AM

You're talking about 'pop-ups' and 'warnings'. Do you get these from Avast? Or from an other program?

#7 tinksgran

tinksgran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:57 AM

Avast only

#8 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

Hi,

Could you give the paths to the by Avast recognizes infected files exactly?

#9 tinksgran

tinksgran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

NO, I may have been to quick to post that about Avast. If you are asking about when I right click. It doesn't have to really be a right click. Say I will go to the
fonts above this screen, choose another font. The font that I choose would remain on the main screen until I reboot. Or if I go into tool, delete the cookie, it will leave a very faint veiw of the last screen where it says something like " deleting files" will remain in the middle of all other web pages and desktop but very faint until reboot. Just whatever was gone into. I apologize for taking so long to get the reply posted, I am trying to get this a/c working also. Ms. in the summertime is not the place to be with no air.

#10 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

Hi,

I don't understand you completely... The warnings are coming from avast? If not, from which program are they coming then?

#11 tinksgran

tinksgran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:15 AM

Hi superbird,

Sorry for the long delay. Got called away unexpected. Yes, the warnings were from avast only. The path was c:\users\myname\pictures\2008-07. This is one of my photo files. I do seem to have gotten rid of the problem however. I downloaded AdAware spyware remover, ran it. This same path came up in the infected files in the Adaware results. I deleted it and have had no more trouble. All my pics. are still intacted, just no more malware. It was very odd that Avast nor Malwarebytes picked it up, but Adaware did. I guesss it was maybe a spyware in my photo editing program. Something so simple causing such a hugh fear.
Thank you for helping me try and solve this. You help is much appreciated. I now move on to try and learn to secure my unsecured wireless connection. So much for simple minds!! Maybe I'll get this one better!

Thanks,
tinksgran

#12 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:55 AM

Hi,

Good to hear this! :thumbsup:

If you're interested, read this page for tips about prevention. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users