Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Do Backup Because Of Other Process

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:49 AM

When I try to do a backup using Cobian Backup all I get in the log is...

Posted Image

This message runs all down the page with every file that is included under C:\

Could someone enlighten me, please?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:57 AM

Have you tried doing this in Safe Mode, or looked in the Task Manager to be sure that the application isn't running?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:09 AM

Have you tried doing this in Safe Mode, or looked in the Task Manager to be sure that the application isn't running?

Hi dc3.

Sorry, I'm a newbie. What application shouldn't be running? I hope you're not going to say that Cobian Backup shouldn't be running.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:03 AM

Let's forget about the Task Manager.

Can you run Cobian Backup in Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

Just a note: Generally speaking, a partition that is being used...cannot be backed up.

That is why the programs that I use for backup...first close down the current Windows/C: partition...before beginning backup procedures for that partition.

I understand that there are exceptions...but maybe this Cobian program is not one of them.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

If you're using Cobian to backup the entire C: drive you'll get this message repeatedly.
Cobian shouldn't be used to backup system files for this very reason (I used SyncBack SE (paid for version) to copy locked files when I needed this functionality).
You should only use the Cobian backup to backup data files that you need to have saved copies of. To backup your system files, I'd suggest a disk imaging tool. There are some mentioned in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html but I use Acronis True Image for this purpose ($50 US).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:18 PM

'Data files'... 'system files'... I want them all stored away as backed-up files.

I just want to... 'do a backup'... so that if and when my computer crashes I'll have all what I need saved to my external hard drive (149GB) for retrieval.

I've tried Acronis True Image before - and half-a-dozen others, and always there's been some problem.

I'll give Acronis another go.

Thanks for your interest, all.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

Even if you're successful in backing up the system files (using Cobian), you'll find that you can't use them to restore your operating system.

To start with, you won't have a way of putting the boot files back where they belong on the disk (that's where the imaging comes in - it stores not only the files, but their locations on the disk). After that you'll have to contend with security, access, registry, and permissions issues. In short, others have tried this and it's not usually worth the effort that will be required.

Imaging, on the other hand, will restore your system to exactly the state it was in on the day that you made the image. And most imaging tools will do this within 20 minutes. If you've changed hardware in the meantime, a repair install is recommended before booting into the operating system for the first time. Also, it's a good idea to make an image after changing any hardware - as a repair install will set your Windows Updates back to the level of your installation CD (and most SP2 CD's are lacking over 100 of the latest updates).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:34 AM

Thank you usasma, but I have now reached a point where I am no longer interested in doing backups with Backup software.

My PC has crashed twice in the past 24 hours, forcing me to do two complete reinstalls of Windows XP Home Edition from a CD.

After installing Acronis True Image, when I rebooted - the Welcome screen asked me for a password. I have never used a password since I installed this WinXP H/E, and I was not allowed to progress beyond this demand for a password.

In future I'll backup to DVD discs and leave it at that.

Thank you for trying to help.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:43 AM

My backup solution consists of a portable hard drive and copying files and folders to it. While this doesn't backup the system, it allows for all my important files to be safe and secure and portable.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

I would suspect the hard drive...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users