Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Big Time!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:57 AM

This problem pertains to my son's computer. Not the one I am using now to type this. His computer, the problem computer, runs Windows XP Home Ed.

Anyway, 2 days ago I cleaned his computer using one of the various spyware type programs that I have been using for years on the same computer. I use several and don't know if it was Lavasoft's Ad-aware that caused it or Spyware Sweeper. If they even caused it at all. But, it was the only thing that had been done to the computer in weeks (no one has even used it in about a month since we have another desktop and laptop).

So, I clean the computer and restart it like I usually do when I'm done running those programs only this time, I see the wallpaper for a few seconds after it restarts, then it goes back to the blue welcome screen and then shows me the user log in icon (which happens to be my son's name). Anyway, I click on his name/icon and then I see the wallpaper flash for a second and then it shows the blue welcome screen again and it says something like "saving user settings" then it then says "logging out." I am unable to get on at all! It just keeps repeating that over and over again whenever I click on his name to log in.

After I tried logging in like 5,000 times, I then restarted the comp and hit F8 to see if I could start it in safe mode and try it that way. Unfortunately, it does the same thing. I even tried selecting the option to set the computer back to an earlier time when it worked normally and that didn't work either.

I thought about just reinstalling windows but unfortunately, a few years ago his computer's motherboard got fried and we had it replaced. The idiot at the repair shop loaded windows xp onto it but didn't give us a copy of it and said that if windows ever needed to install it again that we would need to bring it back to him so that he could do it using the same disk. We thought it odd but what could we do? Anyway, there is no option when hitting F8 to reformat or reinstall windows like there should be. So, I guess we're screwed? I do have a Windows XP Home Edition CD that we bought to load on to another computer we had years ago. I tried putting that into the drive but nothing happened. I am really at a loss here on what to do. I NEED to get back on to that comp because it does have some very important documents on it. We do have a home network setup but I am unable to access the files on that comp through one of the others because it says "path not found" because it's technically not logged on yet and therefor I can't get to it. And, unfortunately, I disabled remote access so I can't even get to the computer through one of our others on our home network. Sigh! What can I do?

I was reading on some other sites where people were having the same problem and they said the issue seems to stem from Lavasoft deleting or renaming the file "userinit.exe" or something like that but I'm not sure. I don't remember exactly what those sites said. Sorry.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks a lot!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:16 AM

In order to boot from the installation CD you may need to go into the BIOS and set the CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order. There is a good tutorial on changing the boot order, you can read it here.

If you have the installation CD and the product code you should be good to go.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 GhostGirl

GhostGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

But if I try that and use the Widnows XP disk we have (and yes it is valid with a code) won't it delete the info we are trying to get to/save off of that computer? I'd really like to get on to the comp without reinstalling windows if I can first.

In order to boot from the installation CD you may need to go into the BIOS and set the CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order. There is a good tutorial on changing the boot order, you can read it here.

If you have the installation CD and the product code you should be good to go.

#4 GhostGirl

GhostGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:25 AM

Also, here is a link I found that explains exactly what is happening to me. Only problem is, he talks of using a program I am clueless about.

http://www.paulscomputerservice.net/index..../autoLogoff.php

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:49 AM

One thing that you may want to try is to install that hdd as a slave into another computer and transfer the files from it to either the hdd in that computer or to a removable media like CDs, DVDs, or a flash drive.

The bottom line here is that even doing the registry repair could result in irreparable damage to the operating system if one wrong entry is made. Normally we advise that you back up your registry before making any changes, unfortunately this can't be done in this situation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:12 AM

I agree with dc3 but I don't think you would know how to do that would you. I suggest to try and find some people who know all about the insides of a PC if you have any friends or relatives who know as them or you can get it done professionally at a computer repair store but it will cost money to get it done.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:30 AM

I should have thought of this when I made the suggestion of moving the hdd, this really is very simple to do. This tutorial is easy to follow, it even has pictures to allow you to see what you are looking for.

As for transferring the files, transferring files in Explore can be done by clicking and dragging the file from one file location to another, or to another storage media.

If you are not familiar with clicking and dragging, you put the pointer on the file that you wish to move click on it and hold the mouse button down while you drag it to the location you want, and then release the button on the mouse.

Right click on Start, click on Explore.

The page that opens will have all of your files on the left side. To move files, choose the location that you want to remove them from and click on it. As an example let's say that you want to move files from Documents, click on Documents and they will appear in the right side of this page.

You can now click and drag files from the Documents to the file location on the left side of the page. If you had a flash drive plugged in you could drag files to it for example. When you click on a file and drag it to the flash drive you will see the flash drive highlighted in blue indicating that it has been chosen as the location for this file to be moved to.

Edited by dc3, 14 July 2008 - 04:51 AM.

#8 GhostGirl

GhostGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:37 AM

I used dc's suggestion about setting bios to start the CD-ROM as the first boot device and inserted the Windows XP disk I had and restarted. Anyway, a little ways in it asked if it wanted me if I wanted to repair windows. I seleted yes. It then went ahead and, I guess, installed all the things I was missing and then some. Anyway, in the end it ended up working and ALL of my info (files and stuff) that I was trying to get to on the hard drive was saved!!!! Woo Hoo! So, now I'm just in the process of updating window with all of the proper updates, service packs and whatnot. Thanks so much for the help!

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

It's good to hear that you've fixed the issue. It sounds like you stumbled upon the "Repair Installation" in the XP Installation CD (more info on it here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users