Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

False Blue Screen Of Death Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Ashi

John Ashi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:18 PM

Recently, as I was surfing the internet, i came upon a malware which, firstly, changed my backround to a blue colored screen with a yellow outlined box, that said "Your computer may be infected with spyware and other unwanted software". A new icon appeared, saying "Antivirus XP 2008", and it seemed to install itself onto my HD. Thirdly, it immediatly put my computer into standby, with a new screensaver which resembled that of the blue screen of death, and a boot screen for windows XP in standard mode. The mouse was not functional during this ordeal, however, any of the keys in the keypad would disable it and bring me back to windows. While idling today (i was infected yesterday), not logged in (my coumpter has one account), the screensaver was the standard XP logo, teleporting around the screen. Later toady, it seemed to have crashed my wireless internet (altough this may be unrelated), however, i managed to repair it. Now i am unable to run Windows Defender, as i was yesterday, although the scan yesterday was inconclusive. A different scan from Microsoft's website stated that there was one infected file (possibly more registries and other files indirectly/directly affected?). If i attempt to change my screensaver or backround, it is not possible to do so either from left click, settings, so on so forth, nor is it from the Control Panel --> Display --> We probably know the rest, however, using a file with a picture in it, the margin will still have "set this picture as a backround", and it is still functional.
TL;DR *(too long; dident read)
A malware which changes your backround, screensaver, and downloads/(possibly?) installs a weird "Antivirus XP 2008", which seems all but too conveniently placed due to the fact that YOUR SCREENSAVER HAS BEEN CHANGED TO THE GOSH DARN BLEU SCREEN OF DEATH, ALTHOUGH THE SCREEN NEITHER INDICATES WHAT FILE THE STARTUP STOPPED ON (OMG WHAT THE HECK).

Some peices of information you techies always will dig for (or so i think):
No i did not install anything
No i did not install any new software in the last week, or two weeks (probably)
I AM running XP of which billy boy pushed on most of us client people
Yes i do have firewall on
Yes i do have patch 2
I dont have unsecured ports or stuff that i know of at least

Anyhow, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask, as i will be on for the next 3 hours probably.
Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

Hello John and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Run a full system scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Normal Mode (Instructions).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

Hello John and welcome. Please read this BC self help tutorial. Let us know how you make out,thanks.

How to remove Antivirus XP 2008 (Uninstall Instructions)
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 John Ashi

John Ashi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:34 PM

Hey guys, how come uninstalling through progran manager and also deleting the system file wouldent work?
Does it make registry edits and backups or something?
I would like to understand computer security threats, and become a helpful member of this community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users