Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Antivirus 2008

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kris_teh

kris_teh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:29 PM

Hello, yesterday my laptop was infected with this virus. First of all, let me warn you that I'm not very computer savvy and this is the first time I've ever dealt with a technical problem this complex.

I followed the instructions in "How to remove Antivirus XP 2008" on this forum, but when I try to open the mbam-setup.exe file on my desktop, it won't even run. Nothing happens. I also cannot open firefox... when I use IE, I cannot access certain sites (like this one.)

I did log on in safe mode and manually delete the associated files and registry key/values listed on the guide, but I still get a few popups and my time and background are still messed up. I can't access task manager or Display.

Should I try to download and run DSS, and post a log in the HJT forum? Will I be able to even run the dss.exe file?

I'm getting pretty desperate here. I'm running a 6 month-old laptop on Windows XP SP 2, and I don't really have anything that hasn't been backed up on an external hd... I've never reformatted and reinstalled windows in my life, but it doesn't sound like the worst option right now.

What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:28 PM

Try renaming the mbam-setup.exe file to something else (such as abcde.bat) and then try to open it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 kris_teh

kris_teh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:02 PM

thanks, that worked. and i feel pretty dumb now haha.

everything seems ok now, the time is fixed and i was able to change my background. I read the other posts by users with this virus and it seems like mine was easy to get rid of in comparison to them, so I hope it's really gone for good. Here is my latest log from mbam.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.20
Database version: 930
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

7:55:16 PM 7/13/2008
mbam-log-7-13-2008 (19-55-16).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 46617
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

As a double-check, run a full system scan with SuperAntiSpyware in Safe Mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users