Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make A Site As Popular As Bleepingcomputer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hi,

I don't know if this is in the right forum but, I would like to make a forum like BleepingComputer and have people contribute and go on the site quite often. How do I do this?
Also, who hosts this website? How much bandwidth does it take in a month? How much space does the website use? Does the site need alot of webspace or is it all in MySQL?

I am thinking of using phpBB3 (because its free :flowers:) but I might move to IPboard (like BC is using) in a few years time if I know people are going to go on the site and contribute.
How much is IPboard and what are the differences between it and phpBB3?

Thanks for your help and if I do get as good as BC (hopefully I will :trumpet:), then I will donate alot to BC for helping me create a great forum that people will come back and contribute to.
:thumbsup:

pcmaddeanp

Server Room Geek - IT Professionals Community

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hi. Getting a forum off the ground with immense users like here at BC will take you quite some time. It will not happen overnight. You need to find a topic for the forum that will attract users and make your site appealing to people. Then you need to submit your site to search engines and get it listed. I also recommend doing some link exchanges. I wouldn't worry about bandwidth yet. As long as you have at least like 100 GB you will be just fine for a while. Most of the file space will come from the MySQL which in most cases will take up your webspace. You wouldn't even want to know how much this site uses. It would be crazy. :D

For IPB pricing: http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/purchase.html

For features comparison: http://www.google.com/search?q=ipb+vs+phpbb3 - Read some of those topics

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#3 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for the reply Axephilic.

How much bandwidth does BC use then? And how much webspace?
If there isn't a lot of webspace needed then I will start the forum off with 000webhost because they offer 350Mb of Webspace and 100Gb of Bandwidth. :thumbsup: Then, when needed, I might upgrade to a dedicated server and alot of bandwidth.

I am thinking of having the forum as a PC and Mac Help and Tutorials forum.

pcmaddeanp

#4 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:22 AM

I'm not sure as to how much bandwidth this site uses or webspace. I'm not an Administrator so I can't get that info.

That looks like a good place to start. You can't go wrong with free. ;) The thing you need to worry about is the size limit for the MySQL database. You should really go for unlimited if possible. If your forum gets big you will need to get a VPS (Virutal Private Server) or even a Dedicated Server.
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#5 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the fast reply.
Just looking at the 000webhost site I found that I was wrong. It's not 350Mb but 250Mb of webspace.
I would be grateful if an admin could contact me and tell me how much webspace and bandwidth this site goes through.

I just found this on 000webhost forums: http://www.000webhost.com/forum/customer-a...base-limit.html

There is no database size limit for MySQL. You get Unlimited MySQL database size

pcmaddeanp

#6 Super-Infected-man

Super-Infected-man

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for the fast reply.
Just looking at the 000webhost site I found that I was wrong. It's not 350Mb but 250Mb of webspace.
I would be grateful if an admin could contact me and tell me how much webspace and bandwidth this site goes through.

I just found this on 000webhost forums: http://www.000webhost.com/forum/customer-a...base-limit.html

There is no database size limit for MySQL. You get Unlimited MySQL database size

Letting you know that 000webhost is registered on a list of malware distibuters and spam senders too

Look here This is the scorecard that says that!

#7 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:44 PM

Letting you know that 000webhost is registered on a list of malware distibuters and spam senders too

Look here This is the scorecard that says that!

Oh.
Thanks for that website. I am looking at hosting at the moment (both shared and dedicated), and this site will come in great!

Do you know any good cheap hosting companys with alot of bandwidth, space and the ability to add multiple domains?

pcmaddeanp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users