Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Locking Up On New Build, Hardware Or Software Problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lookbehindu

lookbehindu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

Hello guys this is my first time posting here, so thank you in advance for any help.

Background:
I've built a couple computers before, but have yet to run into this unique problem.

Here is the build:
ASUS P5N-E SLI [motherboard]
Intel 3.0 Core 2 Duo E8400 [processor]
OCZ 700w [Power Supply]
Geforce 8800GT x2 [Graphics cards. I plan to bridge them via the SLI setup, but i have yet to get to that due to the problem]
G.Skill 2gigx2 RAM chips [so 4 gigs total]
500gig Segate SATA drive
Samsung SATA DVD/CD burner
Rest of the parts are fairly standard

Here's the problem:
The original plan was to have both 8800GTs bridge together, but i figured i'd install one first, make sure everything was running fine, and then put the 2nd in. I did not get to that yet because of the issue below.
I put everything together and booted it up, and started installing windows. I've used this copy for installing windows many times, but this computer for some reason would lock up when it gets in the 2nd phase of the install [where your setting up the timezone, network settings, account settings, etc].

I tried a 2nd copy of windows, and i was able to get windows installed. Once i was in windows i installed the motherboard, network card, audio, and graphic card drivers.
I tried to install Crysis, and it would freeze halfway through the install. After a restart or two i was able to get crysis installed. Once that was done i started it and tried it with the settings on High and Low. Both times it crashed after about 2 minutes.
I figured i'd try something else to try and engage the processor. I started Folding@Home program and let it process some of a work unit. I was able to let it run for awhile, but over night it killed the computer.

Does anyone know if there could be a hardware compatibility issue, or some kind of drive malfunction that i am not aware of.

Thanks,
Lookbehindu

Edited by lookbehindu, 13 July 2008 - 03:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hello Lookbehindu,

Could you provide links to the products in question just to check for compatibility issues.

Also have you looked in the device manager?

And The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Let us know what you find.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

Could also be a heating issue. Perhaps the CPU fan isn't working or it's not installed well. Computers will often crash or restart if things get too hot. Download SpeedFan or something similar and monitor the temps. If the CPU's going over 60, I'd say you have cooling problems.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users