Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Xp On Sata Hdd, Problems.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aminiman

aminiman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

(i've tried posting this on other forums, so i'm trying to give all info in the first posts, so i can get help :trumpet: )
Hey guys, I had just bought all the components for a brand new custom built computer, and I got a 640Gb SATA Hard Drive. I wanted to install XP on it
(not knowing anything about differences between the connections) and I tried installing it.

Went up to like 4% then it stoped copying. I got the message "Windows cant copythe file "xxxx.xx"(replace xxx.xx with a file) .

Thought something was wrong, so i put in an older HDD that i had, and it installed perfectly

I went online, looked up how to install XP on a SATA drive and I was told to put the drivers onto the windows xp CD. followed the instructions (with 2 different XP cds) and it still stops at around 3-9%.

Can I just use a program (or just straight copy) to copy all the info(including XP files) onto the SATA and it will work???? ---- edit: tried, it said that the destination drive was in use :thumbsup:

Can anyone help me out on this? Would really appreciate it!

update:
This is BASICALLY what happens when I put in any type of XP installation CD (with the sata drivers or not)

1. Goes through normal set-up.
2. If I choose quick NTFS format, it will go from 0-20-100%. (If i choose regular NTFS format, it will stick on 0%)
3. Once passing the quick NTFS, it starts normal, then starts to slowly hang on different files, then it just stops on one item, sometimes at 2% and the max i've gone is 9%.

update:

Posted Image
update: tried running the windows check disk program, told me to restart and i did, i come back to see that its stuck on the last step, does that give any clues to anyone? :confused:

update: i did slipstream the drivers into the XP disk with nLite and the same thing happened :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

Hi :thumbsup:, understand your frustration...but I think we can overcome that :flowers:.

You have a number of ways to approach installing XP on a SATA hard drive. The two simplest that I know are:

a. You can begin the XP install with the CD...then insert the SATA drivers when prompted (via floppy)...and then the install will continue.

b. You can slipstream your SATA drivers (if you know where they are) onto a CD which will be a combination of the XP CD and your drivers...then do the entire install from your new CD. This is called slipstreaming and it's simplifying the installation of XP by adding items to the XP CD...that would normally be added at other times.

If you have a floppy drive installed in your system, the floppy way is the easiest, quickest way to go, IMO.

If you don't have a floppy but have an optical drive, the slipstreamed CD is the way to go, IMO.

No matter which route you choose, it's best to use the XP CD to delete anything currently on the C: partition...by deleting said partition. I try not to create circumstances where I'm increasing my chances of things going wrong, so I start out with a blank hard drive/partition.

Typically, in my experience...when you start getting those XP messages (during XP install) that a given file cannot be copied, it's likely to be an issue of the CD being dirty, greasy, whatever...or a hard drive situation. If I have deleted the existing partitions (rather than formatting over them), then I eliminate/minimize the chances of a hard drive situation being the culprit.

One of the fundamental points to understand: The XP CD doesn't recognize a SATA drive until that SATA driver is installed during the XP install effort. A proper, useful install of XP cannot take place without that SATA driver being inserted, recognized, and used by the XP CD.

...and always choose the long format when doing an install of XP. I've successfully used the short one, but the long one will definitely minimize the chance of hard drive problems interfering with the install.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2008 - 02:29 PM.

#3 aminiman

aminiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

@hamluis: thanks for the info! I did however slipstream the sata drivers into the XP installation, still same thing happened.

note: i did run the XP installation on a different drive (Same computer) and it installed and formatted normally.

:thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

If you have two hard drives...and you can install XP on one, but not on the other...same system...that really proves nothing.

Were both drives totally clear (no partitions of any kind) when you tried to format/install XP?

Did the XP CD see both drives?

If your slipstreamed CD is not made properly (the one which allegedly includes the SATA driver)....then it's not going to install XP properly. It took me 3 tries before I made a slipstreamed CD that would work...all my fault.

I would just install XP on the PATA drive, then attach the SATA drive and run chkdsk /r on it.

We've spent a lot of time talking about these hard drives...what is your system manufacturer and model? If self-built, what is the motherboard manufacturer and model?

Did you change your BIOS options so that the system would boot from the SATA drive, rather than from the PATA drive?

In all honesty, I would never use a large hard drive as my boot drive...regardless of type or drive speed. I prefer to use 20-40GB drives for that, while using my SATA drives for pure storage. I'm not concerned about how fast my boot drive is.

#5 aminiman

aminiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

If you have two hard drives...and you can install XP on one, but not on the other...same system...that really proves nothing.

Were both drives totally clear (no partitions of any kind) when you tried to format/install XP?

Did the XP CD see both drives?

If your slipstreamed CD is not made properly (the one which allegedly includes the SATA driver)....then it's not going to install XP properly. It took me 3 tries before I made a slipstreamed CD that would work...all my fault.

I would just install XP on the PATA drive, then attach the SATA drive and run chkdsk /r on it.

We've spent a lot of time talking about these hard drives...what is your system manufacturer and model? If self-built, what is the motherboard manufacturer and model?

Did you change your BIOS options so that the system would boot from the SATA drive, rather than from the PATA drive?

In all honesty, I would never use a large hard drive as my boot drive...regardless of type or drive speed. I prefer to use 20-40GB drives for that, while using my SATA drives for pure storage. I'm not concerned about how fast my boot drive is.

Yes XP did see both drives, both drives were totally clear, and i tried running chkdsk on it but as u can see on the picture above, it froze. self-built: MOBO intel DX48BT2

yes i tried changing the BIOS to that, but then it said that "media something failure"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users